cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Weaver Bottoms

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:45 am

Drove by it yesterday afternoon. There were a lot of divers visible from the road....I mean a lot!

A few puddlers and some geese as well.

Anyone hunt that area that is willing to talk about it?
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Re: Weaver Bottoms

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:58 pm

No ducks in weaver, must have seen coot.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:27 am

Why would you do something like this Mr. Stemig? Don't have a boat so you just want to jump from one to the next this weekend to get out to your spot?

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:39 am

I read the most recent survey from 10/22 and the refuge has a decent amount of mallards but only 455 canvasbacks and 200 ringnecks so I am not sure what you were seeing- maybe coots. These are really low numbers for this time of year. Normally they have at least 5000 cans by now.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:32 am

Goldfish wrote:Why would you do something like this Mr. Stemig? Don't have a boat so you just want to jump from one to the next this weekend to get out to your spot?

I have a boat and several spots to go.....I don't need to poach in "your" area. You must pay more taxes than I do to make it exclusively yours. I just made a comment about the birds I saw down there. The Weaver Bottoms appears to be a nice area and I was just curious about it.

Yes, there were some coots mixed in with the ducks, but there were a lot of ducks at that particular moment on that particular day. I'm not saying that there were masses, gaggles, flocks, or herds of them, but there were enough to appreciate.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:51 am

As far as I know I've never been there, just commenting on naming places in general for the unspoken internet scouters looking for an easy going.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:40 am

Goldfish wrote:As far as I know I've never been there, just commenting on naming places in general for the unspoken internet scouters looking for an easy going.

Weaver is one of the most well known and heavily hunted areas in the state. It is anything but an easy go so I really dont think naming that place is going to to change much. It is always, always, crowded.

MudCatKid
I came here for the barrel sticker

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:57 pm

I drive by Weaver on my 90 mile commute home from work. I was coming home the other week while it was still light out and counted about 12-15 rigs one afternoon, on a weekday. :geek:

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:31 am

There are places that are known to be a shatshow; Weaver is one of them. There are ducks and duck hunters no big secret.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:40 am

MudCatKid wrote:I drive by Weaver on my 90 mile commute home from work. I was coming home the other week while it was still light out and counted about 12-15 rigs one afternoon, on a weekday. :geek:

Plus you only saw one of the launches. There are several other and one of them I know of probably had as many trailers if not more. So you are looking at 30 plus on a weekday! The place has ducks but you need weather to get them out of the refuge or they never leave it.

Return to “South Zone”