triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Mississippi River below Pepin

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:09 am

Mississippi river below Pepin is in the late stages of being totally locked up with ice jams. I was afraid it would happen with no wind. There a paddlewheeler that just headed upstream and I see they just shut down the wheel and are sitting there. My guess would be a large piece of ice got jammed. I do see one other boat out, but even I'm not the dumb and know the floating ice can lock things up quickly. Hopefully with the warmer weather and a south wind later today things will open back up.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Mississippi River below Pepin

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Sat thru Tues they are talking 30s for highs. Not sure if that will melt it enough though. Isn't Sun the last day for the south zone ducks?

Years ago I did enough damage to boats and motors from ice to last a life time. Seriously in todays $ it was over $10k worth of repairs. I guess that is what happens when you get older, the drive to over come any situation dminishes both from lower energy and hopefully a good dallop of learned from ones past mistakes. There is good and bad to it. The good is I am safer now, the bad is I do not go huntuing as much as I used to. And one other factor plays a big factor in me hunting less - my Gout, which is a form of arthritis. My fingers ache when colder than 40. :(

Good luck to those still hunting ducks. And do yourself a favor--keep your hands warm and dry so you do not end up like my fingers 30 years from now.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:53 pm

Good to see your name again Al.............
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Drove from lake city to Winona today, isolated pockets of open water. Pray for some wind.

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:34 am

I think a lot of those Ice jams come from the Chippewa river. But a barge went down yesterday around noon.
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:14 am

There were a few barges running yesterday breaking things up

Sent from a phancy fone

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:02 am

The ice jams was caused by the Chippewa. The rest of the river to Winona has ice covering it. I don't mind breaking ice but don't like having to dodge the bigger chucks that clog the river from the chip, you never know when the wind will change and it will lock up the river.

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Found some open water this afternoon while deer hunting scony side and found some open water. Sat there for couple of hours and saw 3 geese, 2 swans and 1 mallard. I think I'm putting stuff away tomorrow, it's been a great season.

hillbilly
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:55 pm

I was just by pepin on weds lots of it lockd up but there were a 1000 mergs and sum goldies and sum mallards and seen 1 hen woodduck if I had open watrr gear that's we're I would have set up..

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:50 pm

There's always 1000's of mergs at the bottom of the lake when it's iced up. Only problem is the damn eagle watchers that are on the overlook just above. They've always got their binocs and spotting scopes out. I'd be afraid some animal activist would have a fit.

Return to “South Zone”