h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: 2014, are we looking at another August season?

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:52 pm

As for GWH3s post, I still think that a 2 day any species mid Sept would be best. And I think that the local Canada's would get wollopped but good that weekend.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:56 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Ok, then what changes? I'm just curious is all.

no daily limit
no possession limit
no plugs
no permission needed
no refuges
no "x#" feet from a building/house
no YWD
no steel shot
no trailers
no fullbodies
no mouth calls
no flags
no layout blinds
no black hoodies
no water hunting
no group hunting
1 bird limnit in LQP
you get the idea
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

delta
Mergie Marauder

Thu May 01, 2014 9:07 pm

the best "hunt" from last august I heard of was by Annandale. Some guy had a bunch of family groups of honkers walk into his pasture from the river everyday.

Opening day he had a small army ready for action. they waited till birds were up in the pasture and the massicure began. Then some of the younger ones just ran to the river and waited. they reloaded and ran down there and finished the job. Great hunt. and it was like 80 degrees that day. august season for ya..

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Fri May 02, 2014 10:53 am

Last year was somewhat of an anomaly. I scouted a few times when at the lake, but the birds werent worth hunting. This coming august could be really good, at least in the western part of the state. I like the chance to shoot birds that otherwise would be gone before the sept opener. It wasn't just MN that had an under performing harvest though, SD was way down for the august season. Glad to see SD move the opener back to around the 15th instead of the first Saturday of the month.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat May 03, 2014 8:48 am

tornadochaser wrote: I like the chance to shoot birds that otherwise would be gone before the sept opener. .

From my understanding, that is the exact reason for the Aug season and the open area. Especially for western portion of MN, evidentally many geese transmigrate west right before Labor Day.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 03, 2014 11:24 am

No way really?

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:50 pm

delta wrote:the best "hunt" from last august I heard of was by Annandale. Some guy had a bunch of family groups of honkers walk into his pasture from the river everyday.

Opening day he had a small army ready for action. they waited till birds were up in the pasture and the massicure began. Then some of the younger ones just ran to the river and waited. they reloaded and ran down there and finished the job. Great hunt. and it was like 80 degrees that day. august season for ya..

Now that is my kind of early goose hunt! I pulled ambushes on the last two September seasons on residential lakes. One was our new pups first retrieves and the other was our old champs last retrieves. Miss that girl.

Has anyone shot any geese yet this year? I'd love to see some pics!

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:20 am

Nershi wrote:Now that is my kind of early goose hunt! I pulled ambushes on the last two September seasons on residential lakes.

Just curious what you consider a residential lake?
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 am

Big Doe Hunter wrote:
Nershi wrote:Now that is my kind of early goose hunt! I pulled ambushes on the last two September seasons on residential lakes.

Just curious what you consider a residential lake?

A lake that is surrounded with houses 25-50 yards apart. The geese have figured out that it is a safe roost...most of the time. Usually there is a nice collection of boats or ice houses parked on shore that you can use as a shield on your sneak. If they are on the right lawns you can just pop the back door open, surprise bytches! The lake owners hate the geese because their lawns are full of poo.

Just the other day my buddy and I were talking about setting up some jumps in the pontoon if the wind is right. I am guessing they'd let you drift right up to them because they are used to the pleasure boaters.

I did see some kids set up on this particular lake one time. They shot a few geese and one of them sailed in to the middle of the lake. It was pretty amusing watching them chase down the cripple with a paddle boat.

Geese are the only fowl I will jump shoot. I used to scout and hunt geese during the early season but there are so many people who do it now I don't waste my time. If I found a private field I'd go but there are very few fields in my area and even fewer that hold geese. The ones that do have been locked up for years. On a rare occasion I will do a quick morning hunt on a loafing area if I am going out scouting ducks the rest of the day for opener.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:49 am

This whole thread reminds me how much I hate self righteous field hunters.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “Early Canada Goose Season”