maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2014, are we looking at another August season?

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:30 am

h2ofwlr wrote:
Night Hawk wrote: Ease up on the bag limits and possession limits

-Half hour after sunset would put a demise to alot more geese in the early season
-Pull the plugs for the guys that can and do get into the larger flocks

One thing to note(and im sure i ll be corrected if im wrong) is the August season is run by the state. Once Sept 1 comes around the Federales run the show.

I think it already is for Aug. It will not happen more so in Sept as there are migrating geese into MN by then. They want to target locally raised geese which are the problem. EG: Not to target EPP and other populations raised elsewhere.

Not sure during the reg season that they can allow the 1/2 hr after sunset and no plugs. I think it states something in the Migratory Treaty Act, but I may be mistaken.

Nope--they both run it all the time.

maplelakeduckslayer wrote: Also, the whole reason for the August season is to target birds in Western MN before they migrate west to the Dakotas before their full on migration.

not sure why the boundary came so far east into MN

I'm not so sure about that. Since when has MN cared about the Dakotas or vice versa? The main reason is to target birds that were nesting and eating crops in May/June here in MN. Would there be a dividend of less geese going to the Dakota's? Yes, but it is a secondary factor, not the primary factor for having the special season.

I am thinking to target the problematic birds in the Hutch/Willmar region that are eating the crops in the spring.

Night Hawk wrote: Could the three states come together and do a "no boundaries" August season?

The other thing I would like to see is a list of farmers/Corps/idividuals who have accepted funds for waterfowl destruction.

Good luck with that cooperation

Good idea, if they accept predation payments, then they must allow hunters to hunt in Aug and Sept seasons.
Here in the metro the DNR forced the cities to accept hunting (if a viable option) to receive permitts to trap and remove problem geese like at parks. Same principle.

Waterfowlist wrote:If they wanna get rid of them, make the limit in the regular season ten the whole time, that would help.

It will not happen becuase of the influx of non local birds into MN in that time frame.

That's what I mean...kill the geese being raised there before they leave. Otherwise they leave, don't get shot in big numbers in the area, and just return and nest the following Spring. Didn't mean to imply they were doing it to help the Dakotas...there isn't crop predation going on in August really anyway.

Night Hawk
Coot Commander

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:52 pm

Well about 5 months away from this season again. Weird to think about that when geese havent even started to sit on eggs yet.

Anything else to add, or new ideas that have formed over the icey tundra these last few months?

I still say we do away with this season

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Night Hawk wrote:Well about 5 months away from this season again. Weird to think about that when geese havent even started to sit on eggs yet.

Anything else to add, or new ideas that have formed over the icey tundra these last few months?

I still say we do away with this season

I agree that the August season should go... Not a fan.
Craigslist Prostaff

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Last year there was barely a hatch because the snows/cold in April and May. So I think we need to see if we get a average spring so that we hunters can get a better idea on what the Aug season may bode for us.

And just because some of us will not participate in it, should we then curtail the season for the others that do? I hope not....
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:35 pm

I think we are already showing signs of a much earlier spring than last year, in southern MN anyways.

Night Hawk
Coot Commander

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:12 am

My intent is not to take away a season because I dont use it or like it...heck I hunt the august season. My thought is that with a few changes to the september season we can accomplish the goals of the august season and some with better success.

Im all for more opportunities for all sportsman and women, but I feel like this august season is doing more harm then good for all parties around.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:53 am

OK, I'll bite. Even though there was by most reports a poor harvest of geese in Aug last year, so what is it doing as far as "more harm"?

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:OK, I'll bite. Even though there was by most reports a poor harvest of geese in Aug last year, so what is it doing as far as "more harm"?

Kicking your early teal out of the state :lol:

Night Hawk
Coot Commander

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Im not going to get into a words game...I lose everytime. Harm may not of been the best word.

My point being, change september to better accomplish the goal of august.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Ok, then what changes? I'm just curious is all.

Return to “Early Canada Goose Season”