h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Marsh lake restoration

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:14 pm

https://www.pbs.org/video/restoring-marsh-lake-3zxocs/

Filmed last fall.

They were to start refilling it this summer.

I just don't think it'll be filling up any time soon with the drought.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

JayRo
Coot Commander

Re: Marsh lake restoration

Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:25 pm

So, who actually got out on Marsh and hunted this year? I did not but heard first hand the project improved habitat greatly and the duck hunting was good to great in October. I was told pintails, wigeon and green wings were the dominant birds on site. Anyone else have any reports?

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:01 pm

??
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:57 am

JayRo wrote:So, who actually got out on Marsh and hunted this year? I did not but heard first hand the project improved habitat greatly and the duck hunting was good to great in October. I was told pintails, wigeon and green wings were the dominant birds on site. Anyone else have any reports?

I hunted it twice in mid November. Very easy limts and tons of birds probably the most birds I have ever seen in Minnesota in one location. The amount of GW Teal was insane with flocks by the hundreds all over the place. However, it was because of the annual plants had grown during the drawdown and they were feeding on the new plant seeds per what the DNR told me. But now those plants are all under water and gone and cattail has take over big time. I stopped in July and looked and it was cattails as far as the eye could see. The DNR told me some sago pondweed had grown but almost all the other food was not gone so they said do not expect hunting to be like that again this year. Likely was a one year deal though I am sure the hunting could still be good when the migration is on.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:44 pm

Scouted Marsh this September during teal season. Didn’t not see much for ducks. Caught one white bass. Lots of cattails or other sedges. I had no ideas if I was in or out of the non-motorized area and I came seem to even be able to find out on the DNR website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:38 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:Scouted Marsh this September during teal season. Didn’t not see much for ducks. Caught one white bass. Lots of cattails or other sedges. I had no ideas if I was in or out of the non-motorized area and I came seem to even be able to find out on the DNR website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will post a picture if i can figure out how it looked way different last November. I walked in from the west landing near louisburg and they have a map showing the non motor zone. It goes from that landing to the one on the other side in corell off hiwyway 7. I first hunted on veterans day and nobody came close to me all the boats stayed way west towards the grade road so they were not even close to the non motor zone. I think was pretty hard for boats to great around the vegetation was really thick still. I went back a week later right before it froze and must have only been a few other hunters out i did not hear much shooting but the birds were everywhere more than the week before even. I think it froze maybe one or two nights later. Thing was the bottom was 100 percent hard bottom due to it just being flooded so it was very easy to walk in and only up to just above the knee. I am guessing walking would not be so easy this year it probably is getting mucky again with all the reeds.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:45 pm

Here we go.
Attachments
marsh.jpg
marsh 3.jpg
marsh 2.jpg

Return to “Conservation, Habitat & Politics”