greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Water projects

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Some day down the road I want to do some things down in our pasture/creek.

What I want to do is turn our ravine (only water in it when tile is running) into a pothole for ducks. Possibly a larger pond for panfish.

I know anything involving water has to have the government involved. Where can I find out about some sort of project without actually talking to someone? Like links.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Water projects

Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Sorry, but I don't have links per se.

I do now if it was a wetland at one time that there is $ available for a restoration.

If not wetland in the past, I doubt any $ would be forth coming via wetland funding sources. There may be some technical assistance availbale on how to build a low rise dam, the materials needed, a spill way, etc.. where it would be best to locate it, etc.. But there could be some $ out there under water quality improvment programs. Anything affecting water and you will need permits.

Your best bet may be to contact a private CO that knows what is out there in the various programs--and more importantly which ones you might quilify for under the scope of what you are trying to achieve. Often these private COs do the land contour surveys, soil types, design work, etc..
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:29 pm

And actually, the $ available to help isn't the issue and if it was up to me, I wouldn't want any help/involvement at all I just know the govt needs to be involved in some way.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:41 pm

I can't offer any knowledge but I would certainly be willing to help if you need any when you start the project.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:55 pm

First step is to contact your local Soil & Water Conservation District and/or Natural Resources Conservation Service office/s. In some counties they share offices, other counties they are separate.

Because water is regulated by the gov't, yes, you will have some "gov't involvement." That doesn't mean you have to enter any contracts, easements, or cost share programs with the government. Many people go that route because it's cheaper. But you aren't required to.

I worked for a SWCD about 10 years ago and I'll tell ya, the guys calling up looking for "free trees" and other "handouts" was sickening. So, let them know that you are looking for technical assistance with a wetland restoration / creation and that you aren't necessarily looking to get any financial assistance. They tend to get a lot of calls from free loaders and tire kickers, so your sincerity and ability to complete a project can only help.

Have the legal description of the property ready whether you call or stop by. And like any other profession, the ambition level of employees is highly variable. Hopefully you've got some go-getters in your county.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:17 pm

If I'm understanding you concern correctly: You might also get some info if you talk to a PF or DU tech/biologist about experience in your or other geographic areas with similar projects and what agencies to start with. These folks are pretty well versed in all the associated aspects and have working relationships with the 10,000 agencies involved in water/habitat projects.... SWCD, BWSR, DNR, USFWS, Corps of Engineers, NRCS....

Also, anticipate from "thought" stage to implementation it could take a few years. A lot of impact analysis type things, approvals, etc. Each agency your project affects increases time, particularly if you as the land owner is the project manager. They've been burned, a lot. You'll need to establish trust and understand process/paperwork is very important.

I know a private pasture with a similar opportunity I've always wished I owned so I could do what you are talking about.

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Kudos to you (not the snacks either...unless you're into them...then some of them too!) All the advice given is sound...and if you looking at hiring a private company for design, advice or installation I know that Minnesota Native Landscaping used to do a lot of projects like this...both privately and through the government. Here is a link...the guy to talk to used to be Joe.

http://www.mnnativelandscapes.com/pages/Services/

lt

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:51 pm

lumbertick wrote:Kudos to you (not the snacks either...unless you're into them...then some of them too!) All the advice given is sound...and if you looking at hiring a private company for design, advice or installation I know that Minnesota Native Landscaping used to do a lot of projects like this...both privately and through the government. Here is a link...the guy to talk to used to be Joe.

http://www.mnnativelandscapes.com/pages/Services/

lt

I do love Kudos!

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Return to “Conservation, Habitat & Politics”