h2ofwlr
The One And Only

ND Gov Dalrymple denies DU land purchase

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:11 am

By Grand Forks Herald Staff Report Today at 7:30 a.m.

BISMARCK — Ducks Unlimited officials in say they’re exploring ways to help North Dakota fulfill mitigation requirements for the state’s growing infrastructure needs after Gov. Jack Dalrymple recently denied DU’s request to buy 47 acres of drained wetlands from a landowner in Foster County. The wetlands would have been restored and protected to provide credits for private businesses and state agencies to fulfill federal requirements for replacing wetlands impacted in the process of building such things as new rail lines, highways or buildings.

In a letter to DU, Dalrymple said his decision was based on the Natural Areas Acquisition Advisory Committee’s 4-2 decision recommending he deny the request and on the Foster County Board of Commissioners not being able to reach a decision on the proposal.

“We appreciate the governor expressing a willingness to work with us towards a solution, but we are concerned about the NAAAC’s decision to interfere with the private property rights of a willing seller and a willing buyer,” said Steve Adair, director of DU’s Great Plains Regional Office in Bismarck. “Mitigation needs are tied to infrastructure projects, and Ducks Unlimited wants to help meet these requirements while providing additional habitat for waterfowl and other wildlife.”

Adair said wetlands restored on the property also would improve water quality by removing harmful chemicals from being transported downstream. They would store water from spring snow melt, reducing flooding downstream.

“We will continue to look at our options for working with this willing landowner and others around the state,” he said.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Conservation, Habitat & Politics”