Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2014 Trail Camera Pics

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:00 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:^ Get out there man!

This might seem odd...but all I see when I look at those pictures is them following a scent line. The first two bucks come through on the exact same line, and there was a smaller 6 pt that came through 2 minutes before them that I didn't post. All coming up that same line. One buck with his mouth open, the 2nd largest buck has his nose to the ground in both pictures. the only one taking his time is the tallest of the three...
Craigslist Prostaff

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:03 pm

tola18 wrote:
greatwhitehunter3! wrote:^ Get out there man!

This might seem odd...but all I see when I look at those pictures is them following a scent line. The first two bucks come through on the exact same line, and there was a smaller 6 pt that came through 2 minutes before them that I didn't post. All coming up that same line. One buck with his mouth open, the 2nd largest buck has his nose to the ground in both pictures. the only one taking his time is the tallest of the three...

The first thing I noticed when I saw that post was how they all seemed to be following the same path plus during the day. Ever thought about making a mock scrape in that area?

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:12 am

Yes. We just brush mowed that area. It was being overcome with sumac and buckthorn. I have a stand just to the right out of frame in an oak tree. There are three or four limbs that hang toward the opening down to about 5 ft. Going to make a mock scrape or two with drippers this weekend or next.
Craigslist Prostaff

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:26 am

tola18 wrote:Yes. We just brush mowed that area. It was being overcome with sumac and buckthorn. I have a stand just to the right out of frame in an oak tree. There are three or four limbs that hang toward the opening down to about 5 ft. Going to make a mock scrape or two with drippers this weekend or next.

Nothing like introducing something man made too kill a mature buck....
How about you go kill one while they are in that bachelor group yet.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am

I've had mature bucks and does hit mock scrapes during the daylight the last several years consistently.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:51 pm

emptymag wrote:
tola18 wrote:Yes. We just brush mowed that area. It was being overcome with sumac and buckthorn. I have a stand just to the right out of frame in an oak tree. There are three or four limbs that hang toward the opening down to about 5 ft. Going to make a mock scrape or two with drippers this weekend or next.

Nothing like introducing something man made too kill a mature buck....
How about you go kill one while they are in that bachelor group yet.

It's hard to determine if you're being serious or sarcastic. Please elaborate.
Craigslist Prostaff

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Serious. I guess I'm just not a big scent hunter.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:53 am

To be honest, I never was either until I started to do some research on scrapes and mock scrapes. Figured I would give it a try and was pretty impressed with the results. I learn more every year so am by no means an expert on them but it's fun to manipulate something mature like you mentioned.

Can also get some pretty awesome trail cam pictures over mock scrapes.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:10 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:Can also get some pretty awesome trail cam pictures over mock scrapes.

I will put a camera over the mock scrape I make this weekend and document results.
Craigslist Prostaff

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:09 pm

ImageImage
Craigslist Prostaff

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”