Night Hawk
Coot Commander

Re: Pheasants

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:18 am

Have seen more now that most of the crops are out. But nothing like in past years.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Swartzy wrote:I have been out a couple times this year but only for a couple hours each time at most. Wasn't able to get any birds up. I have had my dogs for a few years now and it seems like since I got them the pheasant numbers have been declining. So I took them to a game farm for the first time on Saturday. It was my first time at a game farm too. It was a fun experience. The dogs got on some birds, my buddy and I got some shooting. I'll probably try get out to a game farm once or twice more this winter.

Invite me this time rather than that rat-bastard brother of mine.
Craigslist Prostaff

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Would of been a good day to hunt em. Birds all over the roads today.

Sent from the bush outside your bedroom window.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Labguy23
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:50 pm

I have had some pretty good luck this year mostly on public land. Wish I had more time. I was down a dog because she just had a litter but hope to get her back out this weekend.
Conservation:Hunt with a trained retriever.

www.threeriversretrievers.com

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:14 pm

I usually get out a couple times a year more towards the end of the season. We also do a game farm once a year usually buy 60 birds and try to get 10 guys..... gauging for the dogs!!
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:36 am

Boss lady called and said to stay home because of the weather. Might be a good day to chase a few with this snow coming down.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:44 pm

I put two feeders out on our land to hopefully help them through this first storm and cold snap... Never hunted out there this year for pheasants. Hope they fare a little better this winter.
Craigslist Prostaff

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:05 pm

FIFY
Bill Gilbertson wrote:I was on one in Feb or March one year and it was much better than I expected. As I recall, two guys brought kids. Young ones. The game farm supplied us with a very old man. He could barely walk and seemed to be almost blind. The young kidss were running wild and seldom kicked up anything. The old man just lumbered along and poked his head in here or there and kicked up more than the other two combined.

:D
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Made it out for a few hours today. Buddy got a spot that hasn't been hunted yet this year. It was just me a my black lab (his 1st time hunting something other then ducks).

He took off and flushed 15 or more birds in just a couple of minutes by the house. The hens were sitting really tight in the snow, he ended up catching one and nipped at a few more tails as they were blasting out of the snow.

I counted 18 flushes he had, only 4 roosters. I shot like crap and ended with only one bird. Headed back there this weekend with my son and hopefully some more birds.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Been seeing decent amount when I've been driving backroads.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”