maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2014 Archery Season

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Nice...tough to let a deer like that walk but he should be nice next year.

Hopefully this cold isn't going to push the deer off our property this early like it usually does...I usually see a decent amount of deer until early December, then nothing.

I will be back out this week after the wind subsides. Looks like tomorrow and Thursday through the weekend I'll be out probably. Chasing the big buck I've been seeing. I can tell hes an older deer by his body size...the bucks I saw gun hunting with good sized racks don't compare at all to this one. He is a cow.

What part of the rut are people seeing now? I was surprised to see that big buck chase 8 does and fawns around last week and give up. Seems like its either really chopped up or its not peak yet, at least in my particular area.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Forgot now that gun season is over I'm going to put my game cam out to see if anything is still around and see if I can get a good view of the buck I'm chasing.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:56 pm

I think I'd have a tough time passing up that deer with the bow.

I can't decide where I think the rut is at right now? Typically when does are in heat you don't see them with their fawns yet. Every doe I've seen lately and that my dad has seen on our farm still has their fawns right be their sides.

I'm not sure if I'll even bother putting a camera back out or not but I am sure I will end up putting at least one back out. Hoping to get out most of the weekend if the weather permits.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Within the 9 day firearm season I saw lots of chasing. Yesterday I had a 6 point harassing a doe and 2 fawns and the buck I posted a picture of was with a doe, posturing to go after a smaller buck if he came too close.

I saw 4 different lone fawns last weekend, and no one on our property had shot a doe to that point, though the neighbors may have.

We saw a ton of chasing this weekend. So for some reason it seems about a week behind usual.
Craigslist Prostaff

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Yeah I dunno...weekend of the 1st small bucks were wandering everywhere and every doe that saw them took off in a hurry. Weds the 5th saw the big one chase a doe with fawns...Thursday he was by himself searching. Last Thursday saw him again chasing everywhere and the does wouldn't let him close...he gave up and went a different direction. I did see fawns by themselves a while back like Oct 25th but they've been with does since then. Hard to pin point but I'd say around our property it isn't at peak yet...probably this week I'd guess.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:28 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Yeah I dunno...weekend of the 1st small bucks were wandering everywhere and every doe that saw them took off in a hurry. Weds the 5th saw the big one chase a doe with fawns...Thursday he was by himself searching. Last Thursday saw him again chasing everywhere and the does wouldn't let him close...he gave up and went a different direction. I did see fawns by themselves a while back like Oct 25th but they've been with does since then. Hard to pin point but I'd say around our property it isn't at peak yet...probably this week I'd guess.

Ever thought about using a doe decoy with some estrous? Sounds like he's ready to party but the does aren't willing yet.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Laid a scent trail last Friday but he never showed up. Now that gun season is over I've been thinking about a decoy, buck or doe, since he also ran off every buck in the area. I really don't know if theres going to be deer left out there. I'm going tonight going to set my camera as well.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Saw one small buck. Got my camera out though be interesting to see what's still around quite a few tracks

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 am

Little windier than I'd like but think I am going to sneak out this afternoon, check the cam and sit a couple hours

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Would one of you shoot something already! The suspense is killing me.................
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”