h2ofwlr
The One And Only

CAMP COOKBOOK: Foolproof Pheasant and Wild Rice

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:50 am

By Brad Dokken, Grand Forks Herald
on Oct 12, 2014 at 10:45 a.m.

This recipe from the late Bob Schranck, a longtime Twin Cities outdoors writer, sportsman and cooking aficionado, appeared in the cookbook, “America’s Favorite Wild Game Recipes.” It has been a favorite on the Saturday night of our annual October grouse hunting gathering since the first time we tried it more than a decade ago.

Schranck’s recipe calls for pheasant, but the woods of northern Minnesota are better suited to ruffed grouse, so we adapted the recipe to fit our location, and the results, I daresay, are even better than pheasant.

But that’s a debate for another time.

Either way, Schranck’s “Foolproof Pheasant and Wild Rice” — or “Grouse Casserole,” as we call it in camp — is nothing short of superb and likely would be just as tasty with store-bought chicken, for those not fortunate enough to have access to pheasant or ruffed grouse.

Foolproof Pheasant and Wild Rice (aka Grouse Casserole)

¼ cup margarine or butter

3 boneless skinless whole pheasant breasts or substitute (8 ounces each) cut into ¾-inch pieces

1 cup chopped onion

1 can (10¾ ounce) condensed cream of mushroom soup

1 can (10¾ ounce) condensed cream of chicken soup

2 jars (4½ ounces each) button or sliced mushrooms, drained

1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and drained

1 cup water

1 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained

½ cup cooking sherry

¼ to ½ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper.

½ cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt margarine over medium-high heat. Add pheasant pieces and onions. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until meat is browned, stirring occasionally.

In a 3-quart casserole, combine pheasant mixture and remaining ingredients except almonds. Cover. Bake for 2 to 2½ hours or until rice is tender and kernels are open, stirring once during baking. Sprinkle almonds evenly over top.

Per serving:

Calories: 342. Protein: 26g. Carbohydrates: 28g. Fat: 14g. Sodium: 874 mg.

— Brad Dokken
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”