greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2015 Bow Hunting Reports

Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:03 am

That's a good buck!

Decided to check my camera over my plot this morning before work. Left it on setup and not on... :x first time ever doing that running cameras for 10 years and of course, there were a million tracks in there now.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:33 pm

delta wrote:Yeah. It's a shit picture. My phone went dead right after this pic. G2's were 10 inches long. Brow tines were 4 1/2 inches. Can't pass that up. Only weighed 140 pounds dressed. Just a 2 yr old.

Glad you kept that musket yet or no??? :D
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:24 am

Might be some good times to be out this weekend with the multiple fronts coming through

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:06 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Might be some good times to be out this weekend with the multiple fronts coming through

Hoping so!!! My new bow should be coming on Friday or Saturday and hope to have it ready for pm sit on sat

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:09 am

What you get for a new bow?

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:28 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:What you get for a new bow?

I take some pride in not having any "allegiance" to any one brand ever really. Until someone is stupid enough to sponsor me (which likely won't ever happen, not something I'd ever pursue either) I'll buy whatever is the best fit for me, in all facets of life. That said and without any biases I feel this is the best bow I've ever personally shot:

http://xpeditionarchery.com/xcentric/

They weren't even on my radar as there's so many good manufacturers out there but holy man are these good. Made in South Dakota to boot.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Nice!

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:39 pm

If you get a chance shoot one, you won't be dissapointed. I never really have liked bows with less than a 7" brace height but this one I didn't notice. This company also makes a 7" BH bow and I shot the 6" better, felt better, etc...

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:12 pm

Was put in my mind 10-15 years ago that dual cams were not as "reliable"(accuracy, draw smoothness, etc) as solo cams. Is that an accurate statement at all? Or was it just older dual cams that had issues? Or just false info period? Always been curious, it was enough to drive me to a solocam when I bought a new one 4 years ago.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:00 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Was put in my mind 10-15 years ago that dual cams were not as "reliable"(accuracy, draw smoothness, etc) as solo cams. Is that an accurate statement at all? Or was it just older dual cams that had issues? Or just false info period? Always been curious, it was enough to drive me to a solocam when I bought a new one 4 years ago.

It really boils down to personal preference.... with modern dual cam bows, there's not much argument against the accuracy, smoothness, etc... just like theres not much argument against the solocams (or nocams for that matteR) regarding their lack of speed. The gap has been bridged pretty close to where Cam Hanes is on youtube shooting balloons at 237 yards with a dual cam bow and Mathews just put out a bow without any cams with an IBO of 330fps....

I wouldn't neccessarily say what you had in the past was false info. The reason dual cams were so complex and thus so many people switched over to solo cams in the past is on a dual cam bow, both cams need to work in absolute perfect unison to ensure maximum performance. Matt McPherson avoided that neccessity when he developed a solocam bow. At that point the wheel could rotate differently than the cam and it wouldn't affect how the bow shot. With modern engineering and affordable precise-as-all-get-out machining it's become a moot point though, now it's mostly preference. You still get more performance out of a bow with two cams, generally speaking but the trade offs are often more handshock, noise, jumps off the backwall, etc... Solocams continue to be a little more forgiving.

Personally I never adjusted well to the draw cycles on a solocam but some others swear by it. Picking a bow is a personal and intimate choice, by no means do I think everyone should shoot XYZ bow..... I just couldn't put this particular one down after I shot it.

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”