h2ofwlr
The One And Only

DNR adjusts turkey hunting season to include more weekends

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:59 pm

DNR adjusts turkey hunting season to include more weekends

December 14, 2015 By Josette Elieff, BMTN

Starting this spring, hunters will have more time to get their turkey. According to a news release from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, they’re extending the hunting season to include more weekends.

Officials say there will be five one-week hunting periods followed by one longer hunting period. According to the DNR, Minnesota used to have eight mini hunting periods – six five-day periods, two seven-day periods – and they didn’t all include weekends. Turkey hunters also had to enter a lottery to hunt in the first three periods, now there is only a lottery system for the first two.

The new changes also allow bow hunters to hunt the entire season from any zone.

Another big change, hunters who don’t bag a turkey in their first period will be able the hunt the very last period using their original license. The news release says hunters will need to stay in the same zone, though.

“This will make the experience more relaxing, as snow or rain storms that could ruin the entire hunt will not be as much of a problem,” said Steve Merchant, DNR wildlife populations manager.

See the changes in detail here.

In 2016, the first hunting period begins April 12 and the last one ends May 31. People can apply for the lottery for the first two periods between December 14 and January 22.

The limit is still one bearded turkey.

Minnesota hasn’t always had many turkeys. KARE 11 says the DNR started bringing birds into the state in the 1970s. Now, the station says Minnesota has about 40,000 wild turkeys.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: DNR adjusts turkey hunting season to include more weekends

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:31 am

Interesting. I'll have to give it a shot with the bow this year. Pretty nice change when spring is really busy planting.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:28 am

I like some of the options but going to be cramming more hunters into fewer time periods. Not sure how that's going to works out. Probably go with the bow option anyway then I can try and get out during the week instead of dealing with people

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: DNR adjusts turkey hunting season to include more weekends

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:25 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:I like some of the options but going to be cramming more hunters into fewer time periods. Not sure how that's going to works out. Probably go with the bow option anyway then I can try and get out during the week instead of dealing with people

The last few years with the over the counter tags have been bad enough with people everywhere. Expect more hunting accidents with this.

The way they are letting guys hunt the later seasons after they hunted the earlier ones they might as well do away with seasons all together.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

delta
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:20 am

What a shit show it will be on public land. MN has been shooting good numbers of turkeys every year. Why did they need to F with it. Besides the SE corner of the state, central MN can't handle the constant hunting pressure. Next it will be open all season for anyone, then multiple birds. Wisconsin is lucky to be 2/3 trees and infested with turkey, and alow 2 toms a year. I might do the bow option, then if I would find a Tom I could hunt anytime. I guess we will find out if it makes a difference in the long run.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:45 am

I hunt 349 typically during season D for turkeys but have a 10+ year success rate of right around 50%.... If there ever was an incentive to archery hunt, this is it! If I don't throw my tag on a bird down there I can come back home and hunt some farms close.....I'm excited in that regard....

Delta, I see both sides here... I've had my entire 5-day D season spoiled due to snow (school closings in southern MN in May!) so the lengthier seasons to me make some sense but with longer seasons come more hunters during that time frame so I'd agree with the pressure on public land also. After all, it doesn't appear that they're opening up more days, just condensing seasons. I'm also a bit confused as to why they're still holding the 1st two seasons as lottery? If anything the 1st two seasons are most susceptible to adverse weather so they can be just as tough, if not tougher than the month of May. Why not make it easy and just go OTC for the entire spring hunt? I can't imagine we'd see huge influxes of kills because of it.

I almost get the feeling we're going to OTC and mirroring what states like Missouri do.... Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if we have multiple bird opportunities in the future.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Rained every day on my season last year. Should I get more days then?

Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:58 pm

gimpfinger wrote:Rained every day on my season last year. Should I get more days then?

Like are you owed more days because of the weather?..... Absolutely not

However now you have an extra 2 days to hunt should that happen again. See the glass can be half full

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”