greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Trail Cams

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:08 am

I know there are a few guys on here running cameras.

Has anyone tried?;

Browning Strike Force
Exodus Lift
USA Trail Cams Recruit

I love my G42s but have thought about giving one of these new camera companies (browning isn't new) a go. Exodus has amazing warranty, I know a guy that is the main field tester for USA so I can get a pretty good deal on one and have heard a lot of good things about the strike force.

If I don't try a new one, i'll be getting another one or two G42 or G30 . If anyone is looking for a black flash camera, I have had zero complaints about the G42.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Re: Trail Cams

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:03 am

I don't have any experience with any of those, however Browning has a long history of contracting work like this out to another manufacturer already in the business (in this case building trail cams). I would try and find out who's making them for browning.... if that is indeed the case.

Ive been a longtime user of cheap trail cams but this last fall I started using a reconyx hyperfire. Boy are they nice, if you can get past the price tag.... Would like to switch all mine over, if I could :D

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:51 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote: Boy are they nice, if you can get past the price tag....

I sure can't!

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:02 pm

It's a tough pill to swallow, I'll give you that.... I came about mine in unique fashion. Otherwise I don't think I'd ever be able to pay full price for even one.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:47 am

Mallard_maniac wrote:It's a tough pill to swallow, I'll give you that.... I came about mine in unique fashion. Otherwise I don't think I'd ever be able to pay full price for even one.

How's their warranty and customer service?

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:29 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:How's their warranty and customer service?

No clue, never had to use either, and that camera has taken some abuse.... Don't know what else I could do to make it fail either. It sits out 365 days a year and honestly you get way you pay for with them. I didn't have to pay full price but it still stung a bit.... Very sharp clear pics under the worst conditions.... Really easy to use, bullet proof, etc.... You have to weigh the pro's and con's though. I personally don't think I could ever justify the full MSRP on one but I probably don't use it as intensely as some other hunters. I'm mostly looking for time of day and a inventory of the deer I have.

little things like wind blowing grass or trees don't trigger it like some of my other cams, I even have a moultrie that shadows make it go off.

Like I said, if I could afford to, all my cameras would be reconyx but higher priorities usually take precedent.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:02 pm

I usually buy whatever is cheapest when I walk in the store haha. After having four stolen over the years, I use them less and less and buy cheaper and cheaper. I have never "patterned" a buck with a trail cam. They are a double edged sword...provide motivation to sit out there when you get pics, frustrate the hell out of you when the deer don't show

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:58 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:I usually buy whatever is cheapest when I walk in the store haha. After having four stolen over the years, I use them less and less and buy cheaper and cheaper. I have never "patterned" a buck with a trail cam. They are a double edged sword...provide motivation to sit out there when you get pics, frustrate the hell out of you when the deer don't show

I spent the extra 40$ on a lock box for this one... Normally no way but because of the value I figured why not....

You're 100% right about them being a necessary evil too

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:18 pm

So none of you guys shoot bigger deer because you have a trail camera? Some cameras have been stolen?

Why have any cameras then? Just wondering.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:45 pm

emptymag wrote:So none of you guys shoot bigger deer because you have a trail camera? Some cameras have been stolen?

Why have any cameras then? Just wondering.

I use them to show me where I should concentrate my efforts from year to year, they give me inventory of all the deer on any given parcel. As season nears I'll start paying attention to times, correlating specifically to the moon along with seasonal tenancies also but that's a little more subjective. I can be hunting a few different properties and knowing which one has the more mature deer lets me know where to focus. I've shot deer specifically because of cameras also. They've helped me immensely and arguably no other innovation has changed deer (archery hunting specifically) hunting more than game cams. I think Maple's comment on them being frustrating is 100% accurate however.... I had two GREAT deer on camera last year, 1 was definitely a B&C so I hunted that area really hard and never saw either with my own two eyes. They can give you a false sense of confidence.

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”