maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Turkeys

Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:38 am

Anybody preparing? Went out to the land Saturday and set another ground blind so they have plenty of time to get used to it. Last year was the first year I hunted my land for turkeys much and noticed a definite pattern in their movements...I had 3 different toms hang up about 150 yards away on top of this hill. So that's right where I put the new ground blind. There were lots of tracks up there seems to be their main corridor, so hopefully that will be the kill spot and I can get the GF her second ever turkey. I'm getting the archery license so I can hunt down in SE MN with my Dad and still come home and hunt if I don't fill. Excited to see what happens in this new blind location, if I would have been there last year I would have easily filled. Its a difficult spot as it seems the birds only roost close enough to call to every 3 days or so

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Turkeys

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:55 pm

No need to set up a blind up for them to get used to ahead of time.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:34 am

I never usually hunt out of blinds but put one out last year and had a bad experience. May not have been the blind itself may have been the location but had 4 hang up at 150 yards. Only other time I used one was in WI and we set it in the middle of an alfalfa field night before hunting and had a tom run right up to it. Figured I would just do it as a precaution I want to get the GF a bird

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:00 am

Still debating if I'm going to give it a shot with the bow or not. Will all depend on planting.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:58 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Anybody preparing?

Yes! I can't wait..... already have heard birds gobbling and heard reports of strutters.

gimpfinger wrote:No need to set up a blind up for them to get used to ahead of time.

This is what I've heard as well.... I've never archery hunted before though and never used a blind. This will be my 1st year bowhunting them with the changes, and may even try it with traditional archery a couple of the days. I'm ecstatic that I can still head to SE MN with my dad during our traditional turkey camp but if I strike out there come home and hunt the entire season. This may be the year I buy a turkey blind. In the past I haven't liked them for

1) I can't seem to hear as accurately and see as well (which should be a given)
2) I attribute most of my successes in the turkey woods to being mobile and running/gunning. Generally I move alot and seldom do I sit out 1 spot all morning.

That said there will be all sorts of lessons this year drawing on one with a stick and string vs. shotgun.

delta
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:59 pm

got drawn for the 2nd season down in gods country- SE 3rd. year in a row of getting drawn. I want to hunt with bow one of these years just to have more time in the woods. But as long as I keep getting drawn down there I will keep using the gun. Never hunted such wary birds anywhere, . Ya got the shed antler hunters out, then the youth turkey hunting, then the morel mushroom people walking all over,, birds don't show themselves In the open much, But I do hunt public land spots so what would you expect. We see em on private farms strutting all over ha

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:35 pm

I like to set my blinds a couple weeks early to let the deer adjust a little bit. I've had deer bust me and get in a stare down with me and the turkeys follow their lead.

I've bow hunted turkeys for 5 years or so...with zero success. I get too damn shaky when they strut their stuff. Will be trying a head shot with a magnus bullhead for the first time this year. Going on my first turkey scouting mission tomorrow to determine where I will place blinds.... also added the DSD jake to my spread. Looking forward to trying that out alongside 2 DSD hens that I got as presents from my fiancé for my last two birthdays. I love this time of year.
https://vimeo.com/160320227
uploadfromtaptalk1458873305445.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Craigslist Prostaff

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:41 am

How does that target stand up with shooting that broadhead into it?

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:17 am

delta wrote:got drawn for the 2nd season down in gods country- SE 3rd. year in a row of getting drawn. I want to hunt with bow one of these years just to have more time in the woods. But as long as I keep getting drawn down there I will keep using the gun. Never hunted such wary birds anywhere, . Ya got the shed antler hunters out, then the youth turkey hunting, then the morel mushroom people walking all over,, birds don't show themselves In the open much, But I do hunt public land spots so what would you expect. We see em on private farms strutting all over ha

Back when it was a draw, we used to draw "D" season every other year, like clock work.... then a few years back we started drawing every year.... now it's OTC. Not sure why and never really investigated but the overall consensus for that area (349) was that all draw seasons were getting easier and easier.... Maybe they increased permit numbers? I don't have an answer but it was once an every other year draw, turned to every year, turned to over the counter tags....

I hunt a private farm down there and experience the same behavior. Birds have gotten tougher and tougher to shoot down there, even on private. There are birds all over this state far easier to kill than those down in south east.... It's more of a tradition for me though and now, if I don't kill one I can come back home and hunt all season with my bow!

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Turkeys

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:21 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:How does that target stand up with shooting that broadhead into it?

It does damage! I used a 5 year old layer target that will hardly stop arrow with a practice tip on it. And the bullhead goes through and tears the layers pretty good but stops before totally passing through. I unscrew the bullhead before pulling it back through the target to minimize damage.
I've shot bullheads into the target over 30 times and it still stops them. I have broken two blades, but they carry a lifetime warranty and package comes with 3 replacement blades.

I'm excited.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Craigslist Prostaff

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”