delta
Mergie Marauder

Re: Turkeys

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:32 am

I do like the season change, as far as bow hunting goes, more time in the woods. But , I really don't think this state can have record kills every year. Everyone will hate the DNR again if they let the turkeys get over harvested. I really don't know why they messed with this, it has worked good for a long time. I guess the next few years will tell the story

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Re: Turkeys

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:17 pm

I don't claim to be a turkey expert, haven't ever really traveled for them much, etc.... But talking with friends that eat sleep and breath turkeys it sounds like the archery bit was brought forth during public forum. The gun season changes were made mostly because the DNR felt/feels like numbers are getting to the point they can be more liberal. I suppose they have some general success rate statistics they're working off of which is telling them how many turkeys can or can't be harvested. I don't often commend the DNR but will tip my hat to whomever for their turkey management. They seem to be watching the population close and adjusting the season accordingly.

Again, I have no proof to back this speculation. It was just some of my NWTF buddies opinions that know far more about turkeys and hunter success than I do.

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”