maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2016 Turkeys

Sun May 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Only hens this morning. Had a tom gobble from 9-10:30 but he wouldn't respond to my calls and wouldn't budge. I will be taking the gf out next weekend in central MN

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 14, 2016 8:00 am

Not a gobble this morning so far. Guess it's going to be like last year where they only roost close by every few days. Hopefully that day is tomorrow, might come out tonight and see if there's any gobbling

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 15, 2016 6:57 am

Was an exciting 30 min, had two come from one way a 3rd from another. The two shied away at about 80 yards but the 3rd strutted in very cautiously. Still hearing some gobbling see if we can get another

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 15, 2016 9:38 am

I missed a Jake pulled my shoulder out while drawing and can't even pull my bow back now. Hopefully temporary haha.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 17, 2016 11:26 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Image

Was an exciting 30 min, had two come from one way a 3rd from another. The two shied away at about 80 yards but the 3rd strutted in very cautiously. Still hearing some gobbling see if we can get another

AWESOME DEAL MAN! Is that her first?

I've been struggling all season.... Ive been on birds almost every sit (only 1 sit so far at home where I haven't had birds in range) but just haven't been able to pull everything together and get the stars lined up. I'll be hitting it hard during this warm up which will hopefully get them fired up again. I got an arrow in one a week ago but couldn't recover. I saw him the following Friday (4 days later) hobbling around from the same roost, in the same field so as resilient as they are I think I just flat out made a poor (low) shot.

Bummer about the shoulder.... can you drop your bow draw weight much to accomodate?

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue May 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks, was her 2nd one but her first was just a Jake that made no sound and was just walking by so it was really exciting for her to hear the gobbling and them getting closer, then seeing him in full strut coming in she had a great time. We had to take all sorts of pics haha. She had great patience I couldn't see him as well as she could, I kept saying if he's close and you got a shot take it. She just kept the gun up and said hes still coming just wait a bit, then blasted him when he was in the perfect spot.

Shoulder is still sore, I got a 60-70 bow and it's prolly at about 65. I haven't tried pulling back again yet and gave up working out this week trying to let it heal a few days. I will probably try thursday.

Keep on them, my buddy shot one Monday morning seems they are getting more responsive again. I think those first two that came in didnt like the Jake decoy and looming fight, so that will stay in the bag

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 21, 2016 6:21 am

Had a big sum b strutting and gobbling like crazy within 80 yards for 30 min, he just wouldn't budge off the opposite field edge. Frustrating

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 22, 2016 7:12 am

I can't believe these things. Moved my blind to where I have seen 3 Tom's come out last 2 weekends. Have a tom and a Jake come into the field 50 yards away, figure they will at least walk into the hen decoys. Nope. Strutted for 15 min at 50-55 yards then walked back out the field and have been gobbling constantly about 80yards behind me.

Not sure if I will get out again but plan on moving the blind...again. Then they will probably be in a different spot haha.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 23, 2016 6:07 am

Ditto. In the last week and a half they've seemed almost "scared" of the decoys, no matter what combination I try. I don't think they're seeing anything while approaching or I'm calling too much (never hunted this late). I'm using decent decoys (Dakotas)..... They just don't seem to be interested. At 1st I thought the Jake might be a fight they no longer want so I pulled it but they don't even care about a lone hen now.....

Last sit I had a similar scenario. 2 tons and two jakes sat in the field for almost an hour 125yds away playing around and strutting but never even acted interested in "her"

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 23, 2016 12:19 pm

Best bet is to ditch the decoys the last week or two.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”