h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Minnesota DNR asks hunters not to shoot research bears

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:37 pm

Minnesota DNR asks hunters not to shoot research bears
By Sam Cook Today at 1:00 a.m. Duluth Tribune

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is asking hunters to avoid shooting research bears that are marked with large, colorful ear tags and have radio collars. While it is not illegal to shoot a research bear, the loss of those bears compromises the efforts of biologists to better understand the species’ population dynamics.

Researchers with the DNR are monitoring about 30 radio-collared bears, most of them in the Chippewa National Forest between Grand Rapids and Bigfork. Others are near the Cloquet Forestry Station, in and around Camp Ripley, and in northwestern Minnesota, especially near Thief Lake Wildlife Management Area and the Agassiz National Wildlife Refuge.

“We’re asking hunters not to shoot these valuable research bears. As researchers, we’ve already spent a great deal of time and expense monitoring these bears,” said Dave Garshelis, DNR bear project leader. “We gain unique information from radio-collared bears over the long-term that aids in monitoring and managing the bear population.”
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Minnesota DNR asks hunters not to shoot research bears

Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:56 pm

How much more is there to know about bears? Another waste of money...shoot every one

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”