h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Minnesota deer herd already in mid-winter mode; numbers may

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:05 am

Minnesota deer herd already in mid-winter mode; numbers may suffer

December 15, 2013
Curated by William Wilcoxen, BMTN http://www.bringmethenews.com/2013/12/1 ... ay-suffer/

Deep snow followed by a deep freeze means Minnesota whitetails are already in a little too deep for their liking.

The Duluth News Tribune says reports from the field indicate deer are already showing behaviors they usually resort to only in late winter, if at all. A wildlife photographer tells the newspaper he’s seen deer congregating in the cover of conifer stands, in a practice known as “yarding up.”

As Department of Natural Resources wildlife manager Chris Balzer explains in the article “There’s a lot of snow stuck in the spruce and balsam fir trees, and that means less on the ground.” In addition, the conifers provide a windbreak and attract more sunlight than the surrounding snow. But Balzer says yarding up typically occurs in late winter and in mild years it may not happen at all.

This year Minnesota’s deer herd was already a little smaller than normal coming into the winter. That’s one reason hunters took 6 percent fewer whitetails this fall.

The executive director of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association tells the News Tribune he’s also heard that deer have been spotted pushing snow. “That’s a good indication that it’s going to be a tough winter for deer,” Mark Johnson says.

The northland was in the grip of arctic temperatures again Sunday, when it got down to 32 below zero in International Falls. But the forecast calls for comparatively balmy highs in the 20′s early this week.

Even in parts of the state that aren’t buried under snow and below zero, there are hazards for the whitetail. Witness the trio who wandered onto Albert Lea Lake this month and spent days floundering on the lake’s ice before neighbors with a hovercraft located the deer and towed them to safety.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: Minnesota deer herd already in mid-winter mode; numbers

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 am

I noticed more does herded up than I ever have before on our property and that was 2 weeks ago already.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:57 am

Intl Falls had -32 yesterday--a new record for that day. Duluth had -16.

This does not bode well for the deer in MN. What we need is the temps to get above average for a couple of weeks, maybe we'll get a Jan thaw like last year, I hope so for all wildlifes sake.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:26 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Intl Falls had -32 yesterday--a new record for that day. Duluth had -16.

This does not bode well for the deer in MN. What we need is the temps to get above average for a couple of weeks, maybe we'll get a Jan thaw like last year, I hope so for all wildlifes sake.

Sounds like it could be January thaw. Like you said, let's hope.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Generally when we have such a early very cold streak once we get into January it's above average or average temps, -26 in Bemidji on Monday when I was there then warmed up to around 15 saw a couple herds when I was snowmobiling.

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”