Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 pm

ImageImageImage

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2017 Deer Hunting

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 pm

Couple weeks ago a old doe started scenting the one branch I left hanging so I could make a mock scrape, now every little buck passing by has been hitting it. Guess there's no need to make a mock one now.ImageImage

Team Power Dump

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Deer Hunting

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 am

gimpfinger wrote:
greatwhitehunter3! wrote:It's getting closer! Anyone plan to be out on Saturday? Not good wind for the stand I want to hunt early.

And I don't have a thermacell.. F'n mosquitoes are terrible again.

Walmart has,em for like 20 bucks. I bought an extra because the dove field I'm hunting has standing oats with water in it and they are ridiculous out there.

Team Power Dump

Going to pick one up this weekend.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 am

gimpfinger wrote:Couple weeks ago a old doe started scenting the one branch I left hanging so I could make a mock scrape, now every little buck passing by has been hitting it. Guess there's no need to make a mock one now.

Pee in it.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
gimpfinger wrote:
greatwhitehunter3! wrote:It's getting closer! Anyone plan to be out on Saturday? Not good wind for the stand I want to hunt early.

Walmart has,em for like 20 bucks. I bought an extra because the dove field I'm hunting has standing oats with water in it and they are ridiculous out there.

Team Power Dump

Going to pick one up this weekend.

So it looks like each cartridge/mat is supposed to last about 12 hours. I've never used one or have any buddies that do so can I use it for an hour, shut it off, use it again 5 days later and not have to worry about the cartridge leaking and running out during that off time?

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2017 Deer Hunting

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:34 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:[quote="greatwhitehunter3!"][quote="gimpfinger"][quote="greatwhitehunter3!"]It's getting closer! Anyone plan to be out on Saturday? Not good wind for the stand I want to hunt early.

Team Power Dump[/quote]

Going to pick one up this weekend.[/quote]

So it looks like each cartridge/mat is supposed to last about 12 hours. I've never used one or have any buddies that do so can I use it for an hour, shut it off, use it again 5 days later and not have to worry about the cartridge leaking and running out during that off time?[/quote]
I still have 1/4 full fuel cartridges from 2 years ago. The pads are good until they turn white. They even co
e in an earth cover scent.

Team Power Dump

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2017 Deer Hunting

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:[quote="greatwhitehunter3!"][quote="gimpfinger"][quote="greatwhitehunter3!"]It's getting closer! Anyone plan to be out on Saturday? Not good wind for the stand I want to hunt early.

Team Power Dump[/quote]

Going to pick one up this weekend.[/quote]

So it looks like each cartridge/mat is supposed to last about 12 hours. I've never used one or have any buddies that do so can I use it for an hour, shut it off, use it again 5 days later and not have to worry about the cartridge leaking and running out during that off time?[/quote]
Oh and once you use a thermacell you'll never go back to deet. They just plain work.

Team Power Dump

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks Gimp!

Been telling myself for a couple years to get one and have always just dealt with the mosquitoes. There's no dealing with them this year.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:57 pm

I'll echo everything gimp said, they work.... are much more scent free than spray, etc...

the only fault I've found with them is if there's a slight breeze (like greater than 3mph which lets face it is pretty much a constant in a treestand) you need to play the wind with them and set them up wind and let it broadcast across you.

I feel like I get more hours out of them than the factory recommendations also.... with the constant on/off maybe I'm just imagining but 12 hours seems grossly underated. No worries about leaking or anything.

I'll be out saturday maybe but sunday night for sure. Our highs will be about 20 degrees cooler on Sunday from Saturday so a few should be out eating during evening hours. I have a love/hate relationship with early season.... I often have to fight the temptation to get into the woods and sit and keep my rearend over beans or alfalfa. I'm not a huge fan of sitting over food and then busting a bunch deer off the field at the end of the night.

This past week virtually everything I had lost it's velvet

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:I'll echo everything gimp said, they work.... are much more scent free than spray, etc...

the only fault I've found with them is if there's a slight breeze (like greater than 3mph which lets face it is pretty much a constant in a treestand) you need to play the wind with them and set them up wind and let it broadcast across you.

I feel like I get more hours out of them than the factory recommendations also.... with the constant on/off maybe I'm just imagining but 12 hours seems grossly underated. No worries about leaking or anything.

I'll be out saturday maybe but sunday night for sure. Our highs will be about 20 degrees cooler on Sunday from Saturday so a few should be out eating during evening hours. I have a love/hate relationship with early season.... I often have to fight the temptation to get into the woods and sit and keep my rearend over beans or alfalfa. I'm not a huge fan of sitting over food and then busting a bunch deer off the field at the end of the night.

This past week virtually everything I had lost it's velvet

Sure am glad I have,one. The building I do my work in was polluted with mosquitoes. Probably got bit 40-50 times by lunch. Went home and grabbed mine and never had another bite the rest of the day. Although it did get crowded in my work area since 3 coworkers seen me bring it in and circled the wagons around the damn thing.

Team Power Dump

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”