9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2017 Deer Hunting

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:05 am

Nice buck for sure, Congrats !!!!!!!! You said you fired the only shots, guys being selective or deer just not moving ?? Reports I'm hearing around here are not so great, lot's corn out yet.......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:10 am

That is a dandy MLDS! Nice work.

Reports from my deer hunting buddies have been slow. Kind of surprising given the weather.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks guys!

Lot of corn up still in SE mn, we have gotten more selective and the 4 pt on one side antler restriction. But just not seeing much deer movement. Weren't many seen at all. I saw 5 bucks, the one I shot and the other 4 were all little spikes/forks, etc, and only saw the one doe my buck was following

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:06 am

I came back down yesterday afternoon just to hang out for a day or two, it's dead down here nobody seeing anything. I didn't see anything last night or this morning yet. One of the young girls that hunts with us made an oops Thursday night, shot her first deer but she thought it had 4 pts on one side but it didn't. Called the dnr, they gave her a warning and took the deer

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:57 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:I came back down yesterday afternoon just to hang out for a day or two, it's dead down here nobody seeing anything. I didn't see anything last night or this morning yet. One of the young girls that hunts with us made an oops Thursday night, shot her first deer but she thought it had 4 pts on one side but it didn't. Called the dnr, they gave her a warning and took the deer

Can't believe they confiscated a deer from a young hunter. There has to be a better way to handle that.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Yeah I was kind of surprised especially since they did the "right" thing and called it in, but I guess the law is the law.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:23 am

That is lame they confiscated the deer. What do they do with them after they take them?

I smoked a little yearling with the truck last night. Stupid bastard was looking right at my truck as it stepped out of the ditch to meet it's demise. There was a truck coming in the opposing lane so I had no choice but to paste it. Didn't want to deal with it on a weeknight and it was so small it wasn't really worth my time. Some guy heard me hit it and came out to see what happened and I told him he could take it. There goes $500 bucks for my deductible. FML

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:35 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:I came back down yesterday afternoon just to hang out for a day or two, it's dead down here nobody seeing anything. I didn't see anything last night or this morning yet. One of the young girls that hunts with us made an oops Thursday night, shot her first deer but she thought it had 4 pts on one side but it didn't. Called the dnr, they gave her a warning and took the deer

I wonder how many oops get butchered.........

What are your thoughts on the 4pt a side restriction ? Do you think it has helped raise bigger deer ? It makes no difference to me I guess, I always feel bad for the old timer who just wants a little deer meat....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Nershi wrote:That is lame they confiscated the deer. What do they do with them after they take them?

I smoked a little yearling with the truck last night. Stupid bastard was looking right at my truck as it stepped out of the ditch to meet it's demise. There was a truck coming in the opposing lane so I had no choice but to paste it. Didn't want to deal with it on a weeknight and it was so small it wasn't really worth my time. Some guy heard me hit it and came out to see what happened and I told him he could take it. There goes $500 bucks for my deductible. FML

That sucks! They told her it was getting brought to a food shelf. He had a monster buck in his truck as well... apparently the butcher shop called him to tell him it had a doe tag on it. Officer asked the group to produce a buck tag and they couldn't

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm

9manfan wrote:

I wonder how many oops get butchered.........

What are your thoughts on the 4pt a side restriction ? Do you think it has helped raise bigger deer ? It makes no difference to me I guess, I always feel bad for the old timer who just wants a little deer meat....

I love it, but I can see the meat side too. But I think they circumvented that with either sex licenses in the SE...and in our area you can use a bonus antlerless tag as well. I don't think it would be fair to make people only shoot a deer with 4pts on a side if there wasn't doe tags available.

We were in the cwd zone for several years so we are just now starting to see some decent bucks as I believe that ended 3 years ago now. The area has always had monsters, but 20 years ago we'd load up trucks with forks, spikes, 6's...if it had antlers it was down. It was bucks only back then and people wanted meat. I started being more selective years ago and the rest of my hunting group followed before the pt restriction went into effect, so no one really minds it.

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”