Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2017 Deer Hunting

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:53 am

9manfan wrote:What are your thoughts on the 4pt a side restriction ? Do you think it has helped raise bigger deer ? It makes no difference to me I guess, I always feel bad for the old timer who just wants a little deer meat....

The 4pt law is (from a biological standpoint) poor deer management. It's still putting pressure, infact encouraging pressure, on your very best genetics before maturity. The best bucks in the herd are going to be 4pts on one side at 1.5 yrs old so we still shoot those but the spikes get a pass. It was a compromise between trophy advocates and the DNR. Has it helped grow bigger deer? Yes... it's better than nothing but it's still not great.

The very best scenario for growing a better more well balanced herd would be to move the gun season post rut, or if we're absolutely committed to gun hunting during early Nov, make antlered deer tags a draw (like ND does) and limit the pressure. That however would spark outrage with uneducated advocacy groups like the MWA.... I mean MDHA, the MWA of the deer woods.

No other state with a resource that has the potential that MN does would put unlimited pressure on their prized game animal during the rut with the most effective weapon. It's unheard of... but we do

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 am

Mallard_maniac wrote:
9manfan wrote:What are your thoughts on the 4pt a side restriction ? Do you think it has helped raise bigger deer ? It makes no difference to me I guess, I always feel bad for the old timer who just wants a little deer meat....

The 4pt law is (from a biological standpoint) poor deer management. It's still putting pressure, infact encouraging pressure, on your very best genetics before maturity. The best bucks in the herd are going to be 4pts on one side at 1.5 yrs old so we still shoot those but the spikes get a pass. It was a compromise between trophy advocates and the DNR. Has it helped grow bigger deer? Yes... it's better than nothing but it's still not great.

The very best scenario for growing a better more well balanced herd would be to move the gun season post rut, or if we're absolutely committed to gun hunting during early Nov, make antlered deer tags a draw (like ND does) and limit the pressure. That however would spark outrage with uneducated advocacy groups like the MWA.... I mean MDHA, the MWA of the deer woods.

No other state with a resource that has the potential that MN does would put unlimited pressure on their prized game animal during the rut with the most effective weapon. It's unheard of... but we do

I agree completely, the gun season should never be during the rut, that is just stupid but Mn will never change it(tradition they say), and I have always said how can you manage a herd if you issue doe permits but you can kill a buck with that license if you wish , a doe tag should have to be a doe, but the DNR will never change it, I don't slug hunt anymore so makes no difference to me but it is just STUPID how they manage the deer herd........
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:00 pm

Look at Wisconsin...more license sales than us, can shoot a buck with a gun and a bow, tons of deer...gun season takes place after main rut

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Chit they were fighting like mad in my grove last night. Could hear it and looked around after work and they tore her up in there. If they are still doing that how long would you need to push the season back.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Look at Wisconsin...more license sales than us, can shoot a buck with a gun and a bow, tons of deer...gun season takes place after main rut

Wisconsin is a great comparison...
Number 1 B&C producing county in the world, more p&y entries, MN is something like 47th in the nation for non-res to res hunters, meanwhile we have the cheapest non res buck tags in the Midwest... unlimited over the counter gun during the rut mind you, oh and we have virtually every state in the Midwest beat for public land opportunities, yet nobody wants to come here (understandably so) meanwhile I know dozens of mn residents that were in other states the last 2-3 weeks chasing whitetails. the list goes on... yet Wisconsin is light years ahead of us.

gimpfinger wrote: If they are still doing that how long would you need to push the season back

Ideally December 1 but even Wisconsins season structure is vastly better than ours.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 pm

Ya I've seen bucks chasing does around Thanksgiving, but you are on the back end of the bell curve at that point.

Then you'd get complaining from all the mn guys that go hunt Wisconsin if it was pushed back 2 weeks...Wisconsin is this Saturday.

Just another thing where it's impossible to make everyone happy.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 am

Yes they are still active around Thanksgiving. My buddy had his family over for thanksgiving a few years back. It was the first family thanksgiving at his house. He has an apple tree in his back yard in front of big dining room windows. There were some does eating fallen apples under the tree. Just after they all the family sat down for thanksgiving dinner a big 10 point came in to the yard and mounted one of the does. The women were appalled. My buddy got in trouble with his wife for laughing uncontrollably. Glorious timing by that buck.

You'd get a lot of push back from the northern hunters if the season got pushed back. Lots of guys would never see a deer in big woods country if it weren't for the rut. Not saying they shouldn't do it, just sayin.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 pm

I just read an article by a few biologist from different states that checked late season harvested does for pregnancy and all of them said the average conception date is nov 15th, +/- 2 days.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Been trying to make it out, just doesn't work out. Was hoping Tuesday but supposed to be windy again. Maybe Wednesday. Really interested to see if there's anything on camera since I was out last 2.5 weeks ago

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Couple yearlings this morning. Almost shot a mature doe tonight. Needed 5 yards further to get into an opening but no luck. Had a new shooter show up on cam last week and 2 previous bucks survive slug season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”