greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Shed Hunting

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Anyone here shed hunt in the spring?

Last year I accidentally found a couple sheds and that was enough for me to want to get out more this year. Not only is it fun to find some antlers, but serves as a great way to scout for the upcoming year and see what has survived so far. I also have my entire house decorated with antlers and what not so it's nice to decorate with sheds you've found.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Shed Hunting

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:04 pm

My brother has went out a few times and actually found some nice sheds, the youngest kid has went out a few times as well but only found a few smaller ones, my brother tells me it's good exercise, think he's trying to tell me something I guess.... :lol: ....

We got our family bowhunt coming up in 2 weeks, hope to find a few sheds with the deer under them yet..... :) ....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:36 am

9manfan wrote:My brother has went out a few times and actually found some nice sheds, the youngest kid has went out a few times as well but only found a few smaller ones, my brother tells me it's good exercise, think he's trying to tell me something I guess.... :lol: ....

We got our family bowhunt coming up in 2 weeks, hope to find a few sheds with the deer under them yet..... :) ....

Good luck! They are herding up everywhere. Was thinking about getting out one more time but don't have much ambition for deer anymore this year.

Here is one of the better ones I found last year. Best part of it was, was that it was where I work, no further than 10 yards from the building site. Rodents got to the brow a little but not too bad.

Coyote hunting last night I bet I saw 50 deer and not one of them was a buck that I could tell.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:12 am

It's amazing what rodents can knaw off them horns, everyone my brother or kid found had been knawed on,............

That's why I quit slug hunting, this upcoming bowhunt is way more fun when we have snow, last year we had 13 guys, might have a few more this year the way it sounds.....I will let you know how we do.....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:51 am

Anyone ever try making a shed trap of some sort?

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:11 pm

First of the year!!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:50 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:Anyone ever try making a shed trap of some sort?

I know a guy who feeds deer who mounted aluminum bars above the feeder. He made them so a decent size buck will bump his rack sticking his head in or out to feed. He designed it so there is basically 0 chance of a buck getting stuck in it. He has some nice sheds from this set up.

He used to have a dog that shed hunted for him. He never even trained it. He just let it chew on small sheds laying around the house and pretty soon the dog started bringing them out of the woods when he took it on walks. Anyone ever train a dog to shed hunt?

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:21 am

Nershi wrote:

I know a guy who feeds deer who mounted aluminum bars above the feeder. He made them so a decent size buck will bump his rack sticking his head in or out to feed. He designed it so there is basically 0 chance of a buck getting stuck in it. He has some nice sheds from this set up.

He used to have a dog that shed hunted for him. He never even trained it. He just let it chew on small sheds laying around the house and pretty soon the dog started bringing them out of the woods when he took it on walks. Anyone ever train a dog to shed hunt?

I haven't or don't know anyone that has, but when I get my puppy sometime in the next year, I will definitely be training it to shed hunt. Walking around yesterday would have been that much better having a dog with.

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:59 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
Nershi wrote:

I haven't or don't know anyone that has, but when I get my puppy sometime in the next year, I will definitely be training it to shed hunt. Walking around yesterday would have been that much better having a dog with.

I haven't specifically trained my dog to shed hunt, but he has been playing or chewing on antlers for the past 1-1/2 years. This year I may take him out to see if he can find any.

It takes him about a year to chew a small 6 pt antler up.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

Labguy23
Coot Commander

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:47 pm

I have trained a couple dogs for it but haven't had a chance to use them much for it. It's not that hard to take a trained force fetched dog and teach them to find sheds.
Conservation:Hunt with a trained retriever.

www.threeriversretrievers.com

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”