gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Bow Hunting Reports

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:58 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Irritating. I hit a big one 2 times this morning, could tell it was hurt bad but he didn't go down he just slowly moved off, tail down. I could still see him for like 10 min after I shot, barely moving. Gave him over 2 hrs before even looking for blood.

Found the blood trail and 2 separate spots he bedded down within 100 yards of my stand. Proceeded to track him for probably half mile, finding more spots he bedded down and blood the whole way the last 4 hrs. Eventually just lost where he made his next move.

I hate injuring a deer and having it get away like that, hopefully someone else can put him down
Nicked the liver or lung. My dad shot one during slug with a broadhead in its brain that had been there for some time. They tuff as long as coyotes let them rest.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2018 Bow Hunting Reports

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:14 am

Just hate it, considered my tag filled and slept in this morning. After we found the first beds maybe should have let him lay overnight, but there was some snow moving in and was scared it'd cover the trail

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:23 am

I suggest looking for it again today. You never know, it could be just another 100yds further.
try broad (90 degrees to left to 90 to right) arch zig zagging every 25' from the last known spot. I use orange flagging as a reference point and each time I find something, I tie another flag. Basically with the new snow you are looking for the deer itself, a bed with blood, or blood trail.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Minnesota needs to let us use tracking dogs to find injured deer. I've know a few dogs that would find deer that were hit bad and someone who would go grab their bird dog or uncles rott and find the deer in minutes. I know in some states there are guys that do that for a living in the fall.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Was bored yesterday, went for a walk and checked my cam. Couple day time photos of a decent lil 8 few days last week. I wouldn't shoot it but maybe I'll persuade my dad to go out with his muzzleloader since he didn't get a deer gun hunting

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:12 pm

Did anyone go out yesterday or today?
As it's perfect weather for them to be on the move with the big storm brewing.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:34 pm

My dad was too busy to head out muzzleloader, tried to get him to go. I'll probably wait til muzzleloader is done and go pull Mt cameras down see what's on them. First year in about 15 that I haven't made it out bowhunting, hopefully next year

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Never had anything too interesting on my cams, except a tresspassing muzzleloader Hunter, mf'er

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:14 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Never had anything too interesting on my cams, except a tresspassing muzzleloader Hunter, mf'er

That's what happens when you talk about always being at work and no time to hunt, on the internet.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:37 pm

emptymag wrote:
maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Never had anything too interesting on my cams, except a tresspassing muzzleloader Hunter, mf'er

That's what happens when you talk about always being at work and no time to hunt, on the internet.

Oh I would have been if I could see my sights haha. I'll spend the spring/summer on a left handed bow and I'll be back at it next year

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”