Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Feeding Deer

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Any of you putting out any extra food for them in this icy hell? My brother's and I asked our sister's fiancé (farmer) for corn and hay for the deer. He delivered. Putting some out this afternoon.
Craigslist Prostaff

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Re: Feeding Deer

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:56 pm

We can't in our area, it's illegal.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:22 pm

FYI, once started, you need to continue until early spring as any animals or birds will become dependent on the food supply.

On bad winters we waited untuil February to start feeding as usually they can make it through January on the fat reserves.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:48 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:FYI, once started, you need to continue until early spring as any animals or birds will become dependent on the food supply.

On bad winters we waited untuil February to start feeding as usually they can make it through January on the fat reserves.

Common knowledge, Fowler...

Winter kicked in early this year and has been much colder than usual. Do you really think deer can make it 2 months on fat reserves after the rut? An honest question. I know much of their reserves, especially bucks, have been majorly depleted after the breeding season.

We feed deer throughout the winter within 100 yards of our farm site. Once the snow gets too deep to trudge it out into the woods, we feed the deer right in the yard. Not uncommon to have 20 deer under the yard light on any given night.
Craigslist Prostaff

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Deer have no problem feeding right now. Still see them eating in the alfalfa fields. Deep snow is what hurts them.

Sent from the bush outside your bedroom window.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:03 pm

gimpfinger wrote:Deer have no problem feeding right now. Still see them eating in the alfalfa fields. Deep snow is what hurts them.

Sent from the bush outside your bedroom window.

Most of our property was planted with beans this year. Once turned over, not a lot of grub for them. I don't really want them to relocate. The 3 turnip plots I planted are already being hit hard.
Craigslist Prostaff

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:18 pm

tola18 wrote:Common knowledge, Fowler...

Winter kicked in early this year and has been much colder than usual. Do you really think deer can make it 2 months on fat reserves after the rut? An honest question. I know much of their reserves, especially bucks, have been majorly depleted after the breeding season.

And what about those reading this that are unaware? Sometimes what I may post is redundent to knowledgable people, but what about those that do not know? Ever think that I'm just trying to be helpful to them so they too can gain knowledge like you have?

The key to the over all health of the deer herd and to manage their numbers is the Does. You can shoot 4 out of 5 bucks and the Does will get bred. But if those Does do not make it to spring, that is when the deer herd can take quite a hit.

As for the Bucks, well if you want to raise bucks, that is fine. But the purpose in widespread deer feeding to have the Does make it. And most Does have enough fat reserves to make it through Jan. Also being SW Mn has at least 4 if not 6 weeks less winter than way up north, it's not too often they get hit nearly as hard as the northern deer do.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Al, if you really wanted to give good advice you would recommend NOT feeding deer. The benefits do not out weigh the risks. There is a lot of good reading on this somewhat controversial subject...I found this one pretty quick.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroo ... 010504.htm

lt

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:34 pm

lumbertick wrote:Al, if you really wanted to give good advice you would recommend NOT feeding deer. The benefits do not out weigh the risks. There is a lot of good reading on this somewhat controversial subject...I found this one pretty quick.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroo ... 010504.htm

lt

A few very solid points in there... But the main difference is that I am putting 3 or 4 spots of food in an existing food plot, which is in a major corridor of the "soft woods" that this article mentions. The deer are already there, and that was the point of the food plot. So the arguments of disrupting their pattern and putting them in harms way is out the window. They stay in the woods rather than going out in to the wide open agriculture field (out of the weather, but closer to predators...I understand that part).

In my opinion keeping deer fed is a plus. Let them keep that stored fat to keep warm.

When you think about it, this article would have to claim that small to medium sized man-made food plots (designated specifically for deer) would be a negative for the exact same reasons. Once the food is gone, the deer are worse off than before. Do you agree with that?

If there is constant food associated with nearby cover, I can hardly see there being a negative side. Just my two cents.
Craigslist Prostaff

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”