greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: Bow Hunting Reports...Whats Left of the Season Anyway

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:14 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:They aren't touching my radishes and turnips at all...they either all pushed out or haven't found them yet. 20's next weekend I'll try and make it out and see if they are hitting them

I had a great turnip sugar beet plot lasr year they didn't even touch and I know activity in area was high. I've read it can take a deer a year or two to familiarize with some plot blends.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:25 pm

tola18 wrote:I put my ground blind on the south side today to be able to use a heater and stay at least a little bit warm.

How do you like hunting out a ground blind? I've tried it a few times. I miss being able to see more of what goes on around me and fear that I won't have sufficient lead time to take the shot. I also found range estimation becomes more difficult. Are you shooting through the mesh?

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:02 pm

I also use ground blind over my plot.

I learned one thing this year and that is I need something bigger. Haven't had any shot opportunities that I've wanted yet but mine is.too short.

I need to find a better chair too. What are you guys using for chair?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Honestly I haven't don't anything but turkey hunt out of my blind. I bought the Roger's 360 degree blind (I think that's what it is called) this spring. Shot my turkey out of it. It's very roomy, and fits 2 people easily.

I am trying out mechanical broadheads for the first time this year, and I am not going to shoot through the mesh because I failed to take the time to do a trial shot to see if the mesh had any effect on the shot accuracy.

I set my blind on the edge of the plot that has gotten the most attention, and would present a shot between 10 and 25 yards.
I haven't gotten to try it out but since the blind has been in place, the deer continue to feed just before sundown. I was going to try tonight, but the wind was wrong.
Craigslist Prostaff

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:09 pm

tola18 wrote:Honestly I haven't don't anything but turkey hunt out of my blind. I bought the Roger's 360 degree blind (I think that's what it is called) this spring. Shot my turkey out of it. It's very roomy, and fits 2 people easily.

I am trying out mechanical broadheads for the first time this year, and I am not going to shoot through the mesh because I failed to take the time to do a trial shot to see if the mesh had any effect on the shot accuracy.

I set my blind on the edge of the plot that has gotten the most attention, and would present a shot between 10 and 25 yards.
I haven't gotten to try it out but since the blind has been in place, the deer continue to feed just before sundown. I was going to try tonight, but the wind was wrong.

You worry about wind that much even in a blind? I have always taken advantage of windy days by using my blind.

What broadheads are you trying this year?

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:43 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
tola18 wrote:Honestly I haven't don't anything but turkey hunt out of my blind. I bought the Roger's 360 degree blind (I think that's what it is called) this spring. Shot my turkey out of it. It's very roomy, and fits 2 people easily.

You worry about wind that much even in a blind? I have always taken advantage of windy days by using my blind.

What broadheads are you trying this year?

Haha like I said I have never bow hunted from my blind... So I guess I assumed scent still could escape the blind. Deer have become pretty weary around our property, and I want them to stick around so I take every precation.

I went ahead and went after the Rage craze.... Bought a pack of their new "Hypodermic" broadheads. Looking to test them out on a baldy first opportunity. Possibly tomorrow night.
Craigslist Prostaff

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Will mechanicals deploy when shot through mesh?
Craigslist Prostaff

Night Hawk
Coot Commander

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:22 am

Do alot of ground hunting out of a couple double bulls that i have....I have inconsistancies with shooting through the mesh. I have found that leaving shooting holes in certain areas through the blind works better then shooting through the mesh for me. See the deer early enough, and you can move the mesh to where the deer walks into a shooting lane that you just made.

My cameras are not taking this weather well...Hard packed deer trails waking right by the cameras and i cant get them to snap. I have them south facing on a couple other trees to try and get some sun on them during the day, if they dont produce it might be time to pull them in for the year.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:05 am

I would definitely not shoot mechanicals through mesh.

And you're absolutely right taking every precaution you can. I have personally never been busted using my ground blind but doesn't mean it cant happen. Main thing is to get it out there well before you're going to use it and blend it in well. I always leave whatever window I will have open while hunting open while I'm not there; that way they get used to it.

I had 3 blade rage for a couple years and only shot at small game/varmints with them. After being on a bowhunting forum for a few months I quickly changed my mind. I have heard the new hypodermics are much better though.

I switched to Muzzy Trocar this year but have yet taken a shot at anything with them.

Went and took down my camera last night and have two smaller bucks that have made it through so far and a handful of does in front of my blind each day. I was getting some pretty good pictures until my batteries died 5 days ago. Was a little disappointed with that.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Hunted the last hour and a half of daylight tonight. Tracks fill my plot on every square foot. I did not see one deer at their typical feeding time. Won't be able to hunt until next week now...
Craigslist Prostaff

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”