emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Bow Hunting Reports...Whats Left of the Season Anyway

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:52 pm

tola18 wrote:It was painfully still and quiet in the woods tonight. Absolutely no wind. I had one deer approaching my "kill hole" but it heard me TURN MY HEAD. It was painful to sit there even for just 90 minutes and not be able to move. No deer on the ground tonight... Tracks cover every square foot of my 1/2 acre plot. Must be hitting it after dark?

The colder it is the earlier they move I've noticed.
Sounds like you need to find the beding area and hang a stand closer to it instead of by the food.
And get yourself a musket. :D
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:05 am

If I had to guess, the bedding area isn't too far from the food?

Setting a stand in a transition area between the two is usually money but hard to do this time of year. I would personally keep after it near the food source.

delta
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:36 pm

^^^^^ ive hunted a lot this muzzle season. Hunting all wma's, need to get as far from the food as possible. To many people set up right in the food source, and the deer are staging up to a half-mile away, and waiting till dark to make the move. But yes- on private land, with unpressured deer, I sit right by the food.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:32 am

delta wrote:^^^^^ ive hunted a lot this muzzle season. Hunting all wma's, need to get as far from the food as possible. To many people set up right in the food source, and the deer are staging up to a half-mile away, and waiting till dark to make the move. But yes- on private land, with unpressured deer, I sit right by the food.

Yeah hunting public you want to do exactly opposite of what you normally would or think you should do.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:50 am

Really wanted to get out tonight but I was at work til 3 AM this morning...pretty sleepy. If it was early Nov I'd probably have the ambition to go...not so much right now. See what happens I do want to check the food plots at some point.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:02 pm

One of the deer I had on camera got shot this past week. Like any time a buck on your camera gets shot, it was a little upsetting. The positive on the story was that it was shot by a kid a couple years younger than me and it was his first deer with a bow. I emailed him the trail cam pics to help sum up the story for him.

It was a buck that would have been a game-time decision if the chance arrived. Would have been very nice next year!

There's always more deer!

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:16 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:One of the deer I had on camera got shot this past week. Like any time a buck on your camera gets shot, it was a little upsetting. The positive on the story was that it was shot by a kid a couple years younger than me and it was his first deer with a bow. I emailed him the trail cam pics to help sum up the story for him.

It was a buck that would have been a game-time decision if the chance arrived. Would have been very nice next year!

You guys hunt the same area , how far from your camera pic to where it was shot ?? just curious how far the deer was traveling........
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:57 pm

9manfan wrote:
greatwhitehunter3! wrote:One of the deer I had on camera got shot this past week. Like any time a buck on your camera gets shot, it was a little upsetting. The positive on the story was that it was shot by a kid a couple years younger than me and it was his first deer with a bow. I emailed him the trail cam pics to help sum up the story for him.

You guys hunt the same area , how far from your camera pic to where it was shot ?? just curious how far the deer was traveling........

I'm not sure which piece of ground he was on. Either a mile or 4 miles. Not too likely 4 though as no creek or anything connects.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:48 pm

I drew back on 2 separate does last night...one at 8 yards and one at 15...both times they heard me draw and spooked. It was absolutely dead calm and painfully quiet. Pretty frustrating to have that happen after putting up with the cold temps. Went in about 15 minutes before dark because I could no longer move my left hand.
Craigslist Prostaff

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:33 pm

We had our family bowhunt last weekend, had 12 people go this year, seen a lot of deer but they were scattered around pretty good, when you found them there was usually 6-12 bunched up or more, one area where a farmer has a area planted with mature evergreens and trees and a farm pond in there, we pushed 28 deer out of that spot, we ended up with 3 deer for the day on Saturday, way too cold on sunday to head out, had 1 really nice doe and 2 button bucks that were pretty nice sized as well........couple of the kids are out stand hunting trying to fill a tag yet, but I'm done for the year......

Seen a lot more pheasents this year than last year, and seen a lot of turkeys as well.......only 2 coyotes that we seen, sure there were more..........
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”