greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Climbers

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:52 pm

How many of you guys bow hunt using climbers?

Right now I currently run all ladder stands and blinds. Next year I want to have the equipment necessary for me to hunt public as well as run and gun my own property. I for one do not like using sticks and hang on stands as I do not feel safe. I know my property there are more than enough trees that I will be able to use a climber on so not too worried about that.

Any recommendations either to look at or stay away from?

Right now Summit Viper SD is my #1 choice.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Re: Climbers

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:38 am

I have used climbers for almost all of my deer hunting career. Find one that is light. I have a steel one and it's a bear for any distance. Back straps for carrying are nice. If it doesn't have one, tie a rope from the top to the bottom pieces. I've list the bottom half down the tree but luckily I was only on about the third shuffle so could jump down, set the bottom and climb up on that to get back to the top one. I've seen them make "bowhunter" ones that don't have the bar across the outside on the top, but for safety and for climbing that bar is a huge asset, and when you get to where you want to be in the tree you just put the two closer together so when you stand your bow clears it. You kind of end up a little frog legged, but find what is comfy for you.

Sent from a phancy fone

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 am

What brand is yours?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:51 am

Old, lol. I got it on clearance when I worked at gander ten years ago. I think it's Remington. My dad has an aluminum one which weighs a third of what mine is (don't know brand) but his didn't use a cable on the back side of the tree, it has a blade basically. His you can use if the tree is a little icy, buy over all it's less stable because the are only really 4 solid points of contact where as the cable wraps around the back side of the trees with flexibility to give the front points solid bite. You cannot use the cable ones if there is snow/ice on the trees though. I'm not sure if they even make them with the blade back sides now though, I think they are all rubber wrapped cable or a rubber strap.

Sent from a phancy fone

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks for the info!

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:26 am

Rogers sporting goods has the viper sd right now for 179...not sure if that's a good price or not but figured I'd throw it out there. I think that price ends at midnight dec 3rd

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:53 am

Dang wasn't ready to bite the bullet yet. Might have to though. Thanks for the heads up

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:26 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:I for one do not like using sticks and hang on stands as I do not feel safe.

Are you using a 5 point harness with a tree climbing belt? The strap around the tree attaches to two buckles by your harness at the waist. I was concerned about putting my stand up due to my torn Achilles. But it was not a problem with the belt as I then had both hands free to hang the stand. I don't climb with the stand, but bring it up with the equipment rope. My Cabelas climbing sticks (the kind the attach together) are terrific. I also suggest learning to put your stand up while you are on the ground.

Labguy23
Coot Commander

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:29 pm

I use ladders and hang ons on private land. Mostly hang ons because I can use trees that conceal me best. I have a Summit Viper climber for public land hunting. I really like the climber but I don't like the trees that I am forced to use when in the climber. I feel I stick out too much most of the time.
Conservation:Hunt with a trained retriever.

www.threeriversretrievers.com

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Bill Gilbertson wrote:
greatwhitehunter3! wrote:I for one do not like using sticks and hang on stands as I do not feel safe.

Are you using a 5 point harness with a tree climbing belt? The strap around the tree attaches to two buckles by your harness at the waist. I was concerned about putting my stand up due to my torn Achilles. But it was not a problem with the belt as I then had both hands free to hang the stand. I don't climb with the stand, but bring it up with the equipment rope. My Cabelas climbing sticks (the kind the attach together) are terrific. I also suggest learning to put your stand up while you are on the ground.

I use big game ez on harness.

Return to “Big & Small Game Hunting”