h2ofwlr
The One And Only

End of trapping season brings up a good question

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:20 am

By Jason Houser, IL Outdoor News
April 8, 2015

The state's last trapping seasons -- beaver and river otter -- closed last week. Which means we are now in the "off-season" for trappers. This brings up a good time to ask the question, "Why do trappers trap?"

Every year, thousands of men and women across the state purchase trapping licenses. They belong to an elite fraternity, for sure. Getting up early, slopping through the mud, rain bouncing off their face, stinking to high heavens with lure and bait odors, and for most of them, little profit to show for it when their furs sell.

So the question is, “Why do so many people trap?”

I hear a lot of debate, on a daily basis, of trappers talking about fur prices. A few years ago, fur prices were at highs that had not been seen in decades. Muskrats were selling for $15, raccoons for $40, coyotes for $80. That is good money, especially for the trappers catching a lot of fur everyday. New trappers were coming out of every nook, crevice and cranny. They were going to strike it rich catching fur. These new trappers failed to realize just how much work, and knowledge about trapping, went into being a successful trapper.

Then you have those die-hard trappers who love to trap. They are out every morning before daylight checking their traps, they start counting down the days to the next trapping season the day after the previous season closed, they think skunk essence smells good. These are the guys and gals that simply love to trap.

It does not matter if a coon is selling for $8, or $40 dollars, they will still be setting steel. Sure, they might leave more coon for next season, hoping for a better profit, but they will still be out traipsing through the mud to get to their next set.

So what drives these die-hard trappers from one season to the next? If it is not for the money, what is it? Talking with trappers everyday, they say they do not set traps for the money. But, every conversation eventually leads to the price of fur. OK, maybe they do not expect to get rich catching fur. Some are just to happy to break even, but it is nice to make some extra spending money.

Talking with trappers who are out every year, they all have one thing in common. They simply love nature. They know the benefits of trapping. They realize that it is their responsibility to keep the numbers of furbearers in check to reduce the spread of disease. Some trappers love the challenge of setting a trap in a vast area, and convincing an animal that it wants to step on a 2-inch spot where the trap pan is.

Whatever the reason trappers do what they do, whether it be for the money, the excitement of not knowing what the day will bring when the leave their home in the morning, or simply to be outdoors partaking in a privilege few get to experience, trappers are surely a special class of people. I am proud to include myself in this fraternity called trappers.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Trapping & Predator Hunting”