h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Trapping season is a ways off but now is the time for trap c

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:18 am

Trapping season is a ways off but now is the time for trap care

By Jason Houser, MN Outdoor News
June 8, 2015

With trapping season still a few months away, many of us are anxious to start making sets and to put fur on the stretchers. But we still have things that should, and need to be done before we can ever think of laying steel in hopes of making a catch.

There is more to buying a dozen traps, buying or making lures, setting traps and then hoping an animal might walk by, and step on your trap’s pan. That rarely happens, and especially if you do it haphazardly as I mentioned above.

What many new trappers do not realize, and some experienced trappers ignore, is getting both their new and old traps ready to make sets with. This is something that needs to be done to catch good numbers of animals.

Both new and old traps need to be cleaned before using. There is a lot of time that goes into cleaning traps, but it is well worth the time and effort when you start seeing the results. Not only do traps need to be cleaned, but they also need to be dyed, waxed, the pan tension adjusted, and the pan height set.

Take the time during the summer to get prepared, and you will catch more fur this fall.

Click HERE for more blogs from Jason Houser. http://www.outdoornews.com/Illinois/Art ... ?tagID=551

Click HERE for more blogs from Jason Houser.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Trapping & Predator Hunting”