Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Calling

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:50 pm

anyone had good luck with a specific call sequence? I'm a noob starting out and I kind of just wing it with an emotional series on a cottontail distress call.
Craigslist Prostaff

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Re: Calling

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:00 pm

You talking ecaller I take it. I don't use a specific sequence. I hunt many of the same spots several times during the year. I use a different sound each time.

But I'm pretty much a mouth caller and have only had limited success with e-caller.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

Musher
Coot Commander

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 am

I've only ever used mouth calls and start out with some a couple short and a bit quieter rabbit squeals. Maybe a 30 second sequence and quiet for a minute. Then I start to increase the intensity of each sequence making it sound like the rabbit is slowly being pulled in half. I generally sit 20 minutes for a coyote or fox and will give it 30 minutes if I think the area may hold bobcats. If the area is thick woods or a small clear cut I shave a few minutes off the time at the stand.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 am

Don't have a go-to calling sequence, mainly because I haven't found anything that consistently calls anything in.

Only thing I can recommend is once you get to your spot, whether you're setting up an ecaller/decoy, sit where you're going to be calling from and wait 10 minutes before calling. Is it proven to help? Probably not, but I like the noise to settle before I start making any type of calling sequences.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:25 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:Don't have a go-to calling sequence, mainly because I haven't found anything that consistently calls anything in.

Only thing I can recommend is once you get to your spot, whether you're setting up an ecaller/decoy, sit where you're going to be calling from and wait 10 minutes before calling. Is it proven to help? Probably not, but I like the noise to settle before I start making any type of calling sequences.

Nice tip on waiting, let the squirrels and birds forget about you and then everything seems normal to a yote.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 am

using a mouth call... but 30 second sequences is about what I've been going with. Starting quiet and tapering out at the end of each sequence too.
I tried last night in a coyote hot spot but the damn snow is so loud and the wind was so calm anything within a few hundred yards surely heard me get to the set.
Craigslist Prostaff

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 pm

tola18 wrote:using a mouth call... but 30 second sequences is about what I've been going with. Starting quiet and tapering out at the end of each sequence too.
I tried last night in a coyote hot spot but the damn snow is so loud and the wind was so calm anything within a few hundred yards surely heard me get to the set.

If night hunting try to not walk in to far. That way you don't blow em out. Remember at night they are up hunting and alert. I've sat right off road edges and kilt em at night. Had em run right past the truck while coming to the call.

For calling I will use the rodent dist, bird dist on the FoxPro or do a minute of light hand calling before getting loud with a hand call. I call mostly non stop for at least twenty mins, stopping to catch my breath every now and then. You want them to keep using their ears, stopping calling for to long will get them using their nose and eyes. I'll call for close to 45 min in a night set since it seems they are more willing to come to you from further away.

sent from your bedroom closet
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Musher
Coot Commander

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Night calling is by far the best. When I lived in Colorado we shot many coyotes right out of the back the truck. Full moon is not far away....best time to get out. 3 days each side of it is perfect shooting light with snow cover and a clear sky.

Return to “Trapping & Predator Hunting”