triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Yotes!

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:51 am

So does anyone else chase yotes once the snow falls? I usually get a few every year. I make it out 10-12 times a year over the past few years.

Prefer mouth calling over my cheap electronic call, someday would like to get a FoxPro.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Re: Yotes!

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:55 am

I've had the intention to get after them ever since I built my AR for that purpose, but seems like there's always other things going on.

Something I'd certainly like to try at least once, any recommendations for getting started?

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:01 am

Yupp just waiting on the first snow.

I use a Savage .223 with Hornady ammo, have a couple mouth calls and a Foxpro. Last year was my first, learning season.

The biggest thing I took from last year was I am absolutely hunting as much as possible middle night during full moons.

I just have a Foxpro spitfire but it works wonders. Found a great deal $80 but internal speakers didn't work. Unit was old but sent it in and they fixed for free as well as sent an sd card with sounds for free. Foxpro customer service is amazing and would recommend them to anyone!!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:41 am

I've always found that most of the perfect moonlight nites are too windy for many of the spots I have. I usually don't realize it until I drove all that distance to open up the car door and find the wind blowing 30 mph.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:46 am

What kind of optics do you guys prefer?

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 am

I've got an older Simmons pro50 6-24 by 50mm. You can see across some of the biggest fields at night with minimal light (as long as there's snow).Far from the best, but it's done the job for a number of years.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:53 am

You talking scopes? Or binos or rangefinders?

I'll answer all three anyways!

Scopes- I have a Redfield Revolution with accu-range and love it! Made by Leupold and American made so that was a plus for me.

Rangefinder- I have a Redfield Raider and have been very pleased with that as well.

Binos- I love my Vortex Diamondbacks! Nothing bad to say about them what so ever. Have 10x42s and my dad has 10x50s. Both are very good optics.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:53 pm

I made it out once, with my shotgun and POS tape caller, about 5 years ago. Actually called a fox in but by the time I saw it it was running away.

Last Winter I bought a Remington 22-250...and have my squawk box for snows I was thinking about trying for calling this year. I really would like to get out a few times this Winter.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:13 pm

I can see it now, the first annual MNF yote hunt...

We have some up here, in fact there's a den just behind my house, but I hadn't even thought to approach anyone for permission yet.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:29 pm

shnelson wrote:I can see it now, the first annual MNF yote hunt

In

Sent from a stand of cedars.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “Trapping & Predator Hunting”