reno's ronin
Coot Commander

sept boundary waters canoe trip

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:55 am

? for those that have some experience with boundary water canoe trips. I'm doing a 5 day trip early September.
if you had to bring only a few baits in a tiny tackle box what would you carry? most lake intel shows ok populations of smb/NP/Eyes. no lakers.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: sept boundary waters canoe trip

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:29 pm

IMO it's worthwhile to bring leeches. They aren't much hassle if you put them in one of these: Image

My bro in law has also gotten by with just a mesh bag leech tamer.

1/4 - 1/2 oz jigs. They can be fairly deep that time of year.

Floating rapalas and shad raps.

You can also run into a lot of snags so an extra spool of 6# mono and some barrel swivels are nice.

I usually spool 6# braid. Maybe bring some steel leaders just in case the pike are killing your baits.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:41 pm

What lakes? Rapalas and jigs with plastics. Leeches if you must but if the bite is on you won't need them. It is easy to take too much tackle.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:54 pm

I've had some tough fishing in September in the bwca but I'm not a stellar angler either.

It takes 64 quarter ounce jigs to make one pound... I'd rather be long on tackle than short on fish!

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Reminiscing... My last trip to the bwca was September 2014, with my bride who was prego.

I decided to bring my handheld GPS with a lake chip and plot the most efficient course beforehand. It kinda felt like cheating ahead of time but afterward I decided it was well worth it. No wasted time, no arguing over maps, and i fished with more confidence.

The bwca... It ain't a time machine, just a motorless area.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:50 pm

For walleyes I've always done good on spinner rigs, slip bobbers or jigs tipped with a leech, crawler or minnow. None of these options take up much room. Bringing live bait in isn't really that big of challenge especially in sept when the temps should be tolerable and I feel it can make a huge difference. Lots of good scented plastic options out there if you don't want to mess with live bait or you could bring frozen bait.

Bring a graph if you can. Even if it's just a cheap one. It will allow you to find the fish way quicker.

For bass and pike I use crank baits and topwaters. The topwater smallie bite on some of those lakes can be a riot, especially at low light and they actually taste good out of that clean water. My favorite topwater is a small torpedo with lots of pauses mixed in.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:31 pm

September is prime time for snap jigging rippin raps or jigging raps up there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Return to “Fishing”