shnelson
Mergie Marauder

tell me about wheel houses

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:04 am

I'm looking for something that my wife and I can use in the summer to camp, that I can use in the fall to chase ducks, and of course winter time for ice fishing.

Anyone use one for similar purpose, or are they all strictly hard water season?

What models should I be looking at? I'd like something that transport a four wheeler if needed. Definitely needs to sleep two comfortably, up to four would be awesome.

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Re: tell me about wheel houses

Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:37 am

They make some that will work ok for both. But do neither really well. My neighbor has an ice castle. It is a pos. Poorly made and poorly engineered. Axles to far forward not enough tongue weight for a trailer. Axle pivots with not enough room for grease. The pivot should be fluted to allow grease to enter or it doesn't spread evenly. And with MN salt it's a bad combo. It locked up on lake of the woods down. Unknowingly He cranked it up in the dark and it cracked the welds holding the pivot.The next day at home I explained how lucky he was as I welded back on well enough to get it rebuilt at a weld shop. The leaf spring broke which was a 5 hr nightmare on the way home from red lake. It had to be left and recovered the next day. 8 hrs of driving and fuel. It wore the tires poorly until the axles were rebuilt properly. To much weight and they didn't ride evenly. It's a nice trailer now, but he has 2000 more into it. Now this was one of the earlier models so maybe things are better now, but I will never own one.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Oh man, I guess ice castle is out.

Have you had any experience with the yeti line? Seem to be a quality product but cost definitely comes with it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:44 pm

No I haven't. But I had the same impression when looking at them.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Neighbor just turned me on to the salem ice cabins.

Seems like the right idea, especially for my needs. Talk about $$$ though, and I'm not a fan of the fixed tongue.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Anything pre built can sure get spendy but the way to go in my opinion. Unless of course you have desire and capability to build your own.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

wildwings
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:58 am

I got a yetti this year I will let you know how it goes ;) We ended up going with the 12' toy hauler so far its nice and the best thing is the weight since im in southern MN the price was nuts but we will see if its worth it. Of course if I didn't put the extras that might have saved a few grand !

wildwings
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:59 am

Will the weight of the house matter where you fish ?

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:51 am

Keep me posted. Was your yetti completed on the inside or did you buy a shell?

Weight isn't too much of a factor, I like to stay portable until the ice gets thick enough and it'll probably take a couple trips to the larger bodies of water up north more than anything.

It's really important that I make it comfortable enough to camp out of in the summer, that's the only way I can drive the value for my wife & might be the most use we get out of it all year.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:46 am

If you want a camper, I'd say get a camper. Take a portable fish house with in the camper.

Feller I met on a different forum has what's called his "Theory of a medium". If you compromise to the middle, you don't get either of what you want. If you and the lady are deciding food, and you want Chinese and she wants Italian, pick one or the other so that at least one of you gets what you want. If you go with German food to compromise, neither of you gets what you want. If you want a camper, get a camper. If you want a fish house, get a fish house. One that does both, will do neither well.

Sent from a phancy fone

Return to “Fishing”