h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Massive fish kill at Shoreview's Lake Owasso

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:34 am

November 30, 2013
Curated by Laurie Stern, BMTN
http://www.bringmethenews.com/2013/11/3 ... ke-owasso/

A massive fish kill in one of the Twin Cities’ best fishing lakes is prompting outcries and inquiries, according to Fox 9.

Ice formed on Lake Owasso in Shoreview last week, and neighbors started noticing thousands
of dead fish on Thanksgiving. The dead fish include trophy-size walleye, muskie and bass.

“I am sick to my stomach and worried this lake is connected to other lakes,” said Jason Nelson. “These are sport fish. This is one of the better fishing lakes in the area and we would like to know what the cause of the fish kill is.”

A website called hotspotoutdoors has several first-hand accounts and many photos.

Someone posting as wormdunker wrote: “I just got done walking on the lake to find a massive fish

die off on going currently. The shallows are littered with dead and or dying crappie, sunfish, walleye and Muskie. I took pictures of some of the fish then realized the numbers were so great anyone that walks on the lake will see fish everywhere.”

TurnUptheFishing wrote: “This happened about 5 years ago and it was mostly adult bass, sunnies, and crappies…I hope the DNR looks into this. This is one of my favorite local lakes, really not happy to hear about this.”

The DNR website has no new information. It describes Lake Owasso as very shallow and stocked with walleye and muskie. It notes Ramsey County monitors oxygen levels during the winter.

Fox 9 said the DNR will inspect the lake Monday.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Fishing”