greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Ice Fishing Sonar

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:50 pm

What kind of flasher does everyone use for ice fishing? Pro's and con's for it?

I have a Marcum VX-1pro. It's one of the cheapest models that Marcum makes but has all the features of the big boys like Vexilar fl-18 etc.,. I got a steal of a deal when I used to work at Running's back in college. I paid $165 for it brand new and they retail for about $300 now I believe.

3 color, target separation and zoom, interference rejection. Easy to get to and charge battery system.

Con's- broke the transducer arm last year which should not have happened. Ordered a custom aluminum one for this year though. Other than that, I really have no other problems with the unit. It isn't flat screen but I can definitely live without that.

It's a great starter unit for anyone looking for their first, a new one or a back up.

Let's hear what you got!

Jsb
Coot Commander

Re: Ice Fishing Sonar

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:03 pm

I've been looking for a used flasher. I see the VX-1 for around $100 quite a bit and will probably be going that route unless I find the deal of the century on an LX-3 or 5.
Using Tapatalk

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:59 pm

Jsb wrote:I've been looking for a used flasher. I see the VX-1 for around $100 quite a bit and will probably be going that route unless I find the deal of the century on an LX-3 or 5.

As long as you get a good unit (since it'll be used) I can almost guarantee you will like the vx-1!

smg04
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:26 pm

I have the original vx-1, "before they came out with the vx-1pro", Its been a great unit. It has bottom zoom which is really nice for fishing walleyes/cats. Its been going strong for 9-10 seasons now and I've only had to replace the battery once" $12 at fleetfarm". IMO this unit has everything I need, if and when she goes I'll buy another, no need to spend the $ on the higher end units

Jsb
Coot Commander

Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Anyone have experience with the Marcum handheld showdown? I see they have 2 models for less than 200 (1 for 140). For the amount if ice fishing I do, that may be all I need.
Using Tapatalk

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Jsb wrote:Anyone have experience with the Marcum handheld showdown? I see they have 2 models for less than 200 (1 for 140). For the amount if ice fishing I do, that may be all I need.

Never personally used one. Have one friend that swears by it and more that hate it. I think if you are not used to the other sonar units starting off with handheld wouldn't be too bad I would think.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:29 am

I have fished with all of the brands quite a bit and I like the humminbirds and vexillars. I don't like the Marcum's because of how much interference they kick off.

Two features that I really like in a flasher are zoom and flat screen. If you fish suspended fish a lot (crappies, tullibee, trout etc) I would recommend the humminbird because of the targeted zoom feature. If you only fish bottom dwellers like walleyes and perch any graph with zoom abilities will work.

Flat screens are nice so you don't have to stare down a cone all day. They are easy to read even if you flasher isn't lined up with your noggin.

All the flashers they make are pretty good so you can't really go wrong. You just need to figure out what features are important to you. If you buy a marcum and you fish with guys who have other units you may be getting cussed at a lot because of all the interference.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:54 am

Nershi wrote:
All the flashers they make are pretty good so you can't really go wrong. You just need to figure out what features are important to you. If you buy a marcum and you fish with guys who have other units you may be getting cussed at a lot because of all the interference.

I have heard that from numerous people but my cousin and I fish 30+ times a year together and he has an FL-18 and have never seen any interference problems.

One time on LOW we had two marcums and two vexilars in the same house and not a single problem with any of them.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:12 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
I have heard that from numerous people but my cousin and I fish 30+ times a year together and he has an FL-18 and have never seen any interference problems.

One time on LOW we had two marcums and two vexilars in the same house and not a single problem with any of them.

Interesting. I have fished next to Marcum's multiple times and everytime they mess up the Vex's and usually the other Marcum's too. Maybe certain units kick off less than others. Marcum's do cause the most interference due to the power they kick off.

Humminbirds are on different frequencies so they play well with other units. Humminbirds give off a little interference to other birds but it is tolerable.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Nershi wrote:
greatwhitehunter3! wrote:

Interesting. I have fished next to Marcum's multiple times and everytime they mess up the Vex's and usually the other Marcum's too. Maybe certain units kick off less than others. Marcum's do cause the most interference due to the power they kick off.

I'm guessing that is why I do not have any interference problems with the vx-1. Only 1000 watts of power compared to 2500-5000 watts on the bigger units.

Return to “Fishing”