h2ofwlr
The One And Only

MN muskie season's start means new restrictions By Da

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:10 pm

By Dave Orrick
dorrick@pioneerpress.com
Posted: 06/06/2015 09:10:24 AM CDT | Updated: a day ago

Part of the attraction of muskie fishing for the fanatics who pursue them is the fish's imposing presence. Anglers who land a muskie would do well to keep their fingers away from the razor sharp teeth.

Minnesota's muskie season was scheduled to begin Saturday, June 6, with a new statewide minimum length of 54 inches to keep one on inland waters.

The change, which makes Minnesota the most-protective in the nation, was supported by muskie anglers in hopes of growing just about the largest muskies possible. Last year, it was approved by the legislature and signed by Gov. Mark Dayton, essentially trumping a Department of Natural Resources attempt to increase the minimum from 48 inches to 50 inches, a move many muskie advocates didn't think went far enough.

Twenty-one metro lakes stocked exclusively with tiger muskies -- sterile muskie-pike hybrids -- are exempted from the rule. The minimum for metro tigers is 40 inches. Consult the fishing regulations for the complete list.

Border waters with Canada and neighboring states, including the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers where they create the border, will now be under a 50-inch minimum. The season on Canada border lakes doesn't start until June 20.

No more than one muskie can be kept daily.

At one point, the DNR had planned to create another layer -- a 48-inch minimum for smaller Shoepack-strain muskies -- but that plan was abandoned.

PIKE IDEAS

The DNR is floating ideas for new regulations that would fundamentally change limits on northern pike.

The plan calls for splitting up the state into three zones, each with a different size and bag limit. For more, go to Blogs.TwinCities.com/Outdoors.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Fishing”