maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Ice Fishing National Forest

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:29 pm

Anybody know if there's any specific rules regarding ice fishing lakes with no access? I know you can't drive motorized vehicles off trail etc, this would all be done on foot. But is there live bait restrictions or anything? There's some small lakes by the cabin that I duck hunt on and I found depth maps they are way deeper than I thought. They see zero pressure looking for some crappie honey holes and just something new to try

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: Ice Fishing National Forest

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48 am

No forest-wide restrictions that I know of. There's a non-motorized area I hunt and that would also include power augers.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:06 am

So I wonder what an electric drill on the auger would be OK? I would suppose that is an electric motor on a boat is OK, that it would be OK too.

If neither are allowed, I'd be getting a 4.5" SM lazer to hand drill the holes for scouting purposes and then put on a 7" lazer for fishing.

So let us know what rules you find and how it pans out.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Unless it is a designated trout lake there should be no special regulations. If you do find a hidden honeyhole make sure to post up the coordinates on the interweb. :D

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks guys. Kind of excited one of these lakes they actually have a depth map and survey for, why they would waste money doing that I don't know. Granted it's from 1985. But this 18 acre lake is 40 ft deep, and the survey says it had a very high northern population with average weight being 4 lbs. They said bullheads were present too...But there's gotta be some panfish in there. Going to try it this winter yet but if I don't make it will for sure make some casts this summer for the northerns.

Any of you guys look for lakes like this? What depth do you like to see to try and ensure fish survive...10 ft?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:10 pm

If there is a creek coming in, yeah 10' they should survive. but if no incoming water, I'd say 15'. I know its extra gear, but I would think that a under water viewer would be handy in actually seeing what is down there. Especially if not biting, meaning is it a 12" hammer handle or a 12" crappie. 2 guys are safer and you can haul more gear easier.

Speaking of creeks, we all know that fish migrate up creeks, so look down stream for lakes for what perhaps is in them, as likely that is what is in the smaller untested waters upstream. This is especially true if pike and walleyes are found downstream waters as they love to travel in the spring.

3 words of advice when exploring, have ice picks strung over your neck... And a ice chisel is very handy to have in your hand in testing the ice as you are walking out. Because from a current, beavers, to a spring, as all it takes is 1 bad step and SWOOSH! And you are in the middle of know where. And why a 50' safety line tied between 2 people is a smart idea - just for in case the unthinkable happens.

Or you could tell me where you are at and when you'll call in just for in case you go missing. That way I can call 911 to have them retrieve your body and someone knows your spot since you'll not be using it any more. ;)
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Definitely a big beaver lodge on that little lake. Good little diver lake hopefully becomes a fun little fishing spot

Return to “Fishing”