h2ofwlr
The One And Only

The late winter Crappie bite is on.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:55 pm

That is all 8-)
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: The late winter Crappie bite is on.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Tried finding them in our hotspot from last winter and haven't been able to find them yet. Gotta keep trying.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: The late winter Crappie bite is on.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:27 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Tried finding them in our hotspot from last winter and haven't been able to find them yet. Gotta keep trying.
With all the melting we have been having don't be afraid to pop some holes on the outside of any bullrushes along shore. The fresh oxygenated water seeping in along the edge can draw fish towards shore.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:33 pm

Yeah been trying all winter just can't find them. Last winter 2 weekends in a row snapping like crazy with not another soul fishing. Hoping they didn't summer kill.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:46 am

I have gotten skunked only 1 time and that was last Friday. I explored 3 different areas for 2.5 hrs but had to leave by 6:15. But stopped in a deep water area where others were - and 1 guy was catching them. I returned the next day and got them - but very finicky and were in deep water. Finicky as in 1/3 of the time my super ultra light with and additional spring bobber does not pick up the bite. I was done in 2.5 hrs last night. At least they are biting this winter, no slabs, but eaters and that is good enough for me.
The nice 2' of solid thick ice a real bonus for me as I can drive my 3 ton truck just about anywhere this winter. :mrgreen:

Last night.
Stacked (6 fish on a 9 degree cone) from 3:30 to 8 oclock position, from 8 to 10:30 position is plankton.
Attachments
stacked.jpg

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:28 am

On another lake that I have been fishing this winter - the Crappies have been very shallow since Jan, like 9' of water.
I'm not sure if that is because of the low oxygen with the thicker ice and snow cover and there is more oxygen in the weeds or what. Normally I may catch 1 or 2 but 90% are Sunnies when that shallow as the Crappies are in 30+' of water. Not this year.

Bluegills have been just about non existent this winter. I've asked many guys, all have said the same thing - not biting except potato chip sized ones - and I'll pass on those.

Go figure.

Return to “Fishing”