gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Winter fishing 18-19

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:45 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Late last winter I broke the tip off my favorite micro light rod by South Bend that was way old. (I looked down while fishing and wondered whats that twig by the hole? Never did figure out how it broke off.) Way back when there was L, UL and micro light rods. Similar to what noodle rods are today in that I did not need a spring tip as the front 1/3 of rod was so limber and sensitive.

I've been looking to replace it, its impossible to find 1 like it. I've checked Ebay etc more than a few times to no avail, closet was 1 from 2002. :?

Anyway, bought a 30" noodle rod from FF last night. I hope it comes close to the other 1. Also bought another 27" UL combo too.

I think RRs are like guns, you cant have too many. :mrgreen: Myself I don't change jigs, I change rods as its faster. 8-)

So have you guys bought any additions to the IF gear this winter?
Berkley has rods they call "series one" and it is a noodle tip and normal rod backbone. I went through 4 rods looking for a nice ul noodle type till I found this one.

sent from deez nutz lay'n on yo chin
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Winter fishing 18-19

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 am

The rod is like a graphite rod till the clear and Orange tip and that is a glass noodle type.ImageImageImageImage

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:15 am

The South Bend has more flex through out the rod, hence the microlite designation.
There was no need for a spring on the tip it was so touchy for light biters.
Often I'd see the tip go up slightly and I'd set the hook on Crappies.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:37 am

h2ofwlr wrote:The South Bend has more flex through out the rod, hence the microlite designation.
There was no need for a spring on the tip it was so touchy for light biters.
Often I'd see the tip go up slightly and I'd set the hook on Crappies.
I had the south bend one and hated it. A rod needs a bit of backbone for when the big eye decides to eat a waxie or 14" crappie come though.

This Berkley don't need any spring either. I've been running a small tungsten jig on this one.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:43 am

But you fish in fabled waters.....

As it's a rarity to get a 12"+ crappie around here, At best its 10" I use mine for sunnies and the small Crappies and have caught a LOT of fish with that South Bend microlite.

And I have other Ul and L rods that would work well for fish that are a lb

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Tuned up custom rods makes good noodle rods. I have the bullwhip. Might be a little expensive for some people though.

Personally I still like my St Croix spring bobber rod the best for light biting panfish. No other better for detecting light bites IMO. They also have a lifetime warranty. I've broke mine twice and they were replaced for free no questions asked.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 pm

New additions...no. Thawed out a pack of hot dogs for the norts is about it, set them in the kitchen let them get a bit smelly

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:38 am

Is anyone heading to URL or a similar overnight excursion to get into the Eyes or perch?

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:56 pm

GF showing me a lot of people taking a swim the last few days. Haven't had that hard freeze that helps make the ice uniform, passed by a small lake today that still had a patch of open water

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:GF showing me a lot of people taking a swim the last few days. Haven't had that hard freeze that helps make the ice uniform, passed by a small lake today that still had a patch of open water
High water table=warm ground water keeping spots open. I've even seen spots still open in February on bigger lakes over 40, 50 foot of water when we have heavy rainfall years.

People will be going through all winter. Best bet is to travel main roads/trails and then auger walk your way to vigin spots before driving any vehicle to your spot.

Return to “Fishing”