Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Hub style shelters

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:40 am

Looks like the same bag to me but tough to tell.

Hub tips. Roof comes out first when setting up and goes in last when coming down. It is easier to tie the house off to your auger or something else that is heavy than messing with the ice stakes. If it isn't real windy you don't need to tie it down at all. The only time I have needed more than one tie down is when there is no snow on the ice and it is windy. Some guys use power drills to get the ice stakes started because they are a pain to do by hand. Don't shovel down to the ice-see post above. If you are fishing trout or other fish shallow you can close all your windows and sight fish which is pretty cool.

Buddy tips. Get yourself a 5 or 10 lb propane tank at a fleet or propane store. They are spendy but it is a pain to haul a 20 lb around and the little one pounders burn up super quick and get expensive. You can fill these 5-10 lb tanks for like $10. Most Uhaul places fill propane. When you use a tank open the valve and use your pliers or something to bleed the line. It takes a long time to bleed the line using the pilot. If your heater turns off out of the clear blue it might be because you have CO2 buildup in the house. They have a safety mechanism to shut off. The built in fan seems useless. If you want to run a fan to cut down on condensation I suggest buying a different one. There aren't condensation issues with the insulated houses unless it gets real cold.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Buddy tip -

Bratwursts sit perfectly on the top level of the heat grate on the buddy heater. Bring fully cooked ones so all you have to do is heat them up, put em on a bun, add ketchup, and have a good snack. (don't forget to rotate the brats while you warm them up.)

8-)

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Good point quack! You can also Jerry rig a cheap grate on the handle and cook just about anything. We call it redneck grilling. Just make sure to take the grate off when you are done grilling or it'll melt the handle. Here is us cooking some duck a couple weeks ago.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Good to see others grilling with the buddy heaters haha

Return to “Fishing”