greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Hub style shelters

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:11 pm

I've been wanting to get a hub style shelter for a year or two now. Fatfish 949i is top of my list right now.

Give me opinions on what one and why you would buy?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

chevyobsession
Coot Commander

Re: Hub style shelters

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:49 pm

My wife got me a killzone igloo XL. Haven't fished in it yet but it is roomy and should fish 4 guys comfortably. I'll have it out next weekend. I'll let ya know how it works.

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:40 pm

I have a regular quickfish good shack. Would love the fatfish.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:44 am

I have a 949i. Real nice house. My buddy has the clam insulated and it is a nice house as well but I decided not to go with that one because it weighs like 20 more pounds than the skmo. Not sure if that is still the case.

The case for the 949i is garbage. Mine started to come apart the first day out and it is almost to the point of useless after one year. I've been searching for a ski or large duffle bag that is more heavy duty to replace it. Might just buy a clam case for it.

Hubs rock unless it is windy. Damn near lost it yesterday fishing a whiteout blizzard with 25MPH winds on Lake Superior.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Always wanted one with a sled to pull behind the wheeler but been looking at these more just for the room. I'm torn. I love my Dads pull behind but 3 guys is really tight, even 2 guys is a little snug

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:07 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Always wanted one with a sled to pull behind the wheeler but been looking at these more just for the room. I'm torn. I love my Dads pull behind but 3 guys is really tight, even 2 guys is a little snug

Sled type is all I've ever used except for two times out last season. They are nice but storage space can be an issue as well as space when fishing. I was happy enough those two times to go ahead and bite the bullet on a hub style.

Checked Cabela's, Dick's and Fleet Farm while in the cities this weekend and no one had the 949i. Guy at Cabela's said they didn't even get any in.

Going to Running's tonight to pick one up.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Got a quickfish 3 a couple years ago, but have only used it a couple times.

Fished in a friend's quickfish 6 on Tuesday... Not thrilled with the "wet floor" . . . Is this pretty common? Is it just because of all the snow on the ice? (Northern MN)

Shovelled out a spot, set it up, drilled holes, shovelled out the slush, turned on heaters, and there was standing water everywhere. Best part was, after a couple hours, the ice under the water was super slippery.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Quack wrote:Got a quickfish 3 a couple years ago, but have only used it a couple times.

Fished in a friend's quickfish 6 on Tuesday... Not thrilled with the "wet floor" . . . Is this pretty common? Is it just because of all the snow on the ice? (Northern MN)

Shovelled out a spot, set it up, drilled holes, shovelled out the slush, turned on heaters, and there was standing water everywhere. Best part was, after a couple hours, the ice under the water was super slippery.

Never heard of it happening that bad before. We always get a little puddle underneath the heater but only a foot round at most.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:34 am

Don't shovel any snow off the ice. Pack down the snow with your boots and it shouldn't melt. If there is enough snow and/or slush you will have issues with either style of house due to the weight of the snow.

Some guys build or cut out floors/mats to put down but it seems like it'd be more pain than it's worth.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:58 am

Picked up the 949i and big buddy last night!

Any tips or recommendations when setting up, taking down, fishing out of this hub etc.,?

Is this the same bag everyone else has or have they changed at all?

Return to “Fishing”