Quack
Mergie Marauder

Help? Propane Heater issues

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:16 am

I've got the Mr. Heater that sits on the wire stand and can be tipped over to cook on. (Although I never use it for that)

I use a 5lb propane tank most of the time. This year I've been having problems with the heater shutting off. Could theoretically be lack of oxygen in the fishouse or cold air temp freezing the valve when the tank is outside?

Never been much of a problem in the past, so I was wondering if there's some cleaning or maintenance to do with the plumbing.

This past weekend I was in and out of the portable enough to rule out lack of oxygen. Temp was in the teens, so I didn't think that would be cold enough to freeze the valve, but maybe so? The tank was nearly full when it happened too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Re: Help? Propane Heater issues

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:43 am

Do you fill the tank or exchange it? I had a 20lb tank that was funny and as soon as I swapped it for another one, the heater worked fine

Sent from a phancy fone

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Could have a piece of dirt in the orfice of the heater.....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:13 pm

My guess is a bad thermocouple, it's the little probe that allows gas to flow as long as it senses heat. Does your heater stay running if you hold in the safety shutoff valve/ignite plunger?

Part # 17349 (page E-7, part 14):
https://www.mrheater.com/upload/newslet ... Manual.pdf

Never been able to find the part by itself, I had always just replaced the entire heater when they gave out like that. Now I have a big buddy heater and it's got a whole new array of issues.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:24 pm

shnelson wrote:My guess is a bad thermocouple, it's the little probe that allows gas to flow as long as it senses heat. Does your heater stay running if you hold in the safety shutoff valve/ignite plunger?

Part # 17349 (page E-7, part 14):
https://www.mrheater.com/upload/newslet ... Manual.pdf

Never been able to find the part by itself, I had always just replaced the entire heater when they gave out like that. Now I have a big buddy heater and it's got a whole new array of issues.

That or the thermo is to far away from the burner.

sent from your bedroom closet
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:38 am

shnelson wrote:My guess is a bad thermocouple, it's the little probe that allows gas to flow as long as it senses heat. Does your heater stay running if you hold in the safety shutoff valve/ignite plunger?

Now I have a big buddy heater and it's got a whole new array of issues.

It does stay running if I hold the plunger in. I knew someone in this group would have the answer, thanks!

What issues are you having with the big buddy? (That would be my next choice, although they are 4x the cost.)

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:10 am

Gimp makes a good point, try pushing the thermo closer to the element before giving up or throwing $$ at it, could be an easy fix.

When I first got into the buddy heaters, I had a problem with finding a hose and filter that would work with propane tanks larger than 1#. It seemed like it was very picky for the gas to flow properly.

My other complaint, which is completely avoidable on my part, is that they don't take well to storage without being covered. I think the dust plugs things up, I have had much better luck when I start each season by blowing them out good with an air compressor (pilot hole and ceramic plates).

I used to have both the buddy/big buddy heater for a few years now. Both worked well after I figured them out, didn't have to replace any parts and they went through plenty of abuse. Got rid of the buddy heater for lack of use, while it's a little more portable I liked having the option of more heat when needed with the big buddy (usually never goes above medium though).

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:37 pm

I've never understood all the complaints about buddy heaters. I beat the crap outta mine and never had an issue....knock on wood. It seems a lot of problems are user errors.

I never cover mine in storage. Hoses are available at most fishing stores.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Nershi wrote:I've never understood all the complaints about buddy heaters. I beat the crap outta mine and never had an issue....knock on wood. It seems a lot of problems are user errors.

Hoping the same goes for me since I just bought one last month.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Nershi wrote:I've never understood all the complaints about buddy heaters. I beat the crap outta mine and never had an issue....knock on wood. It seems a lot of problems are user errors.

Admittedly so :). There are some annoyances with the safety features when the heater is moved or bumped, but that's not a fault.

My complaint with the hose was that either the hose or the filter I purchased was faulty, and ended up having to replace both for it to stay running. They were Mr Heater branded products too, not sure where I went wrong there

Return to “Fishing”