h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Hard water fishing already

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:54 pm

I remember as a kid the Friday after Thanksgiving the fishermen out on the back bay of Carson's Bay on Lake Minnetonka fishing for Sunnies. It's been a while since that has happened due to our generally warmer weather and later starts to winter in the more recent years. But this year they will be out in force--if not out already.

I won a nice rod and reel set up last spring at a banquet - maybe I should try it out! :mrgreen:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greenheadlover
Coot Commander

Re: Hard water fishing already

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:49 am

h2ofwlr wrote:I remember as a kid the Friday after Thanksgiving the fishermen out on the back bay of Carson's Bay on Lake Minnetonka fishing for Sunnies. It's been a while since that has happened due to our generally warmer weather and later starts to winter in the more recent years. But this year they will be out in force--if not out already.

I won a nice rod and reel set up last spring at a banquet - maybe I should try it out! :mrgreen:

just be safe on that ice :ugeek:

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:00 am

If they see me out there - they know it'll be safe. :D
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:23 am

Theres some crazy mf'ers out there...someone I know was out on lake charlotte in wright county by hanover/buffalo on Sunday, said there was 4" ice supposedly in the bay by the boat launch. I'm sure guys will be on pelican this week if not already...I'll drive by tonight on my way bow hunting and see.

chevyobsession
Coot Commander

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:19 am

I have heard reports of 5-6" on several lakes in the hutch area. I would assume that would only be closer to shore but who knows.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:00 am

Saw 5 or 6 guys right north of Brownton Sunday. Absolutely not for me!

Give it two more weeks and I will for sure be out there though. Rumor has it that there are a couple smaller lakes around here with 3" already; one of which was supposed to be holding my late season geese. I'll find out tonight after scouting I guess.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:05 am

I plan to catch a UTV taxi out onto Red after Tday. I was fishing 3-5 inches around Duluth last weekend. That being said one of the shallower lakes in our area was 80% open. I would guess someone will drop a wheeler through on that lake this weekend because there is about 7 inches by shore and probably about 3 where it was open.

You can be safe on early ice if you are smart. Most guys who get in trouble early in the year are being careless or are just plain stupid.

SCKnives
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:14 am

There is 4" - 5" on some of the smaller lakes around my area. I'm hoping to get out this weekend.

wildwings
Coot Commander

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:25 pm

5-6 inches here

Return to “Fishing”