greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: Ice Augers

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:00 am

lumbertick wrote: I've never used a Nils....but have talked to folks who have and they swear by them...they have power options as well.

lt

They are crazy spendy!

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:13 pm

I have an Eskimo Mako 43 and I couldn't be happier. Starts right up and runs like a champ even when it is insanely cold. Cuts faster than most too.

There are two very important things to do with a gas auger. First is buy the oil that you can run less thick. I like Amsoil Sabre Pro. You mix it 100 to 1 instead of 50 to 1. The other important thing to do is empty all the gas out of your auger at the end of the season then choke it to the max and pull until it won't even fire anymore. If you get all the gas out of the carbs it will never get gunked up.

Strikemaster seems to have more issues than most. For some reason almost everyone I fish with has or used to have a Strikemaster and they all seem to have issues. I have borrowed my Mako to many of Strikemaster owners.

I like the Jiffy Propanes but just this year I have two different buddies who bought them and are having issues. The propane can freeze as well which is a drawback. They have to be the fastest cutting auger on the market but they are also probably the heaviest. The ones that don't have issues start real nice.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:16 pm

tola18 wrote:Considering giving even the cheap Eskimo Stingray a try... under $275 bucks.

Their powerful model "Shark" is only $350 in an 8" model...

My buddy owns a stringray and I do not like the feel of it. It feels like you are drilling with a power drill instead of a power auger. I'd spend the extra $75.

Return to “Fishing”