shnelson
Mergie Marauder

is your ice house stuck?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:48 am

I haven't made it out on the ice at all this year but figure the conditions for retrieving a house seem to be less than desirable. Any of you guys got a stuck house?

I'd be willing to lend a hand this weekend around the north metro if anyone on here needs help. Can't offer much other than another hand to wield a chisel and a 4x4 but figured I'd throw it out there.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: is your ice house stuck?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:09 am

This winter reminds me of over 30 years years ago. In mid Feb we got back to back powder snows of about 35" on top of the plentiful snow. It was impassable by trucks to my ice house with a deep snow and water on top of the ice. I think I jacked up the house 4 times that winter (10" of total water on top of the ice). Jacked up the 6x8 house one last time to get it out of ice in preparation to move it. Next day I ended up bribing 2 MN Gopher FB linemen and couple of friends from the U to hand pull it off a 1/4 mile. We used 2 sheets of plywood to act like a skis to it staying on the surface of the snow in the knee deep snow. Took us 2 hrs to get it to shore. The bribe? A case of good beer and a home cooked meal that night that I made for them--Venison steaks, potatoes, and corn with a store bought pie. A guys gotta do what a guys gootta do to get a ice house off the lake. :mrgreen: And those 4 sure loved the home cooked meal at one of my friends apt in Dinkitown.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:23 am

I'd be willing to help anyone in the Mankato area as well. Have the same things Nelson does to offer. Plus anything on a farm that may help

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:36 pm

There are lakes in the Duluth area that are not plowable. Vplows can't make it through the 5+ foot drifts. I talked to a guy who was searching for an excavator to rent to try to retrieve his house. These are the times I am happy I do not own a permanent.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:11 pm

Nershi wrote:. These are the times I am happy I do not own a permanent.

X2.......I really like my portables sitting in the garage right now, but then again we don't have near the snow down here in the SW part of the state ..............
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:16 pm

9manfan wrote:
Nershi wrote:. These are the times I am happy I do not own a permanent.

X2.......I really like my portables sitting in the garage right now, but then again we don't have near the snow down here in the SW part of the state ..............

Same. I cant imagine anyone is having trouble getting off Shetek. If they are, there's something wrong with them.

Return to “Fishing”