lanyard
Mergie Marauder

URL Links

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:31 am

SH~ set-up the links to open a new window.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Re: URL Links

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:41 am

Isn't that a local (on your web browser) setting?

Sent from a phancy fone

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Goldfish wrote:Isn't that a local (on your web browser) setting?

Sent from a phancy fone

I believe it is

W

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:30 am

Yes, locally I can make the appropriate key stroke. For Safari it is "Control-Click", and a new tab opens, not a new window, as I prefer tabs to windows.

However, from a web page/traffic management perspective, I prefer to not rely on the individual user and their settings to maintain a position in their browsing.

Granted, SH might not be that big on traffic count, page views, etc. And maybe the auto-redirect causes a return through the Board Index which increases page views.

For my web sites, which are company/product oriented, I don't want to redirect them from the site so they go and get lost somewhere else in the window they started in. I'd much prefer to have them exploring my site, find something interesting, and not have to rely on them to come back later.

I don't deny there is a difference in business models, so I'll let SH do or not do what he sees fit.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:13 am

Does have to be a key stroke you can set it in your browser settings, at least in Firefox you can..

W

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:46 am

I'll get this implemented soon, trying to find a cleaner way to do it now that tapatalk has been introduced... it gets a bit messy with the code when someone quotes a post with a link.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Got it. Thanks Shawn.

Dwendt~ each browser treats it differently, and different versions of operating systems as well. It's better if an "owner" can eliminate the user variable.

The problem Shawn brought up, when things are quoted, is the tech breakthrough of Facebook.... that's a whole lot of linking going on!

Return to “Website Help, Questions & Suggestions”