maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

How much does a salvage title affect vehicle value?

Sun May 04, 2014 8:48 pm

Never dealt with buying one before...but the GF is looking at cars and I'm trying to figure out a fair price to pay for a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro. KBB does not take salvage titles into account. The damage was all to the door and fender according to a vin search. Any valuation sites that take a salvage title into account? KBB's lowest condition rating is fair but it still must have a clean title to fit into that category. Appreciate any help

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Re: How much does a salvage title affect vehicle value?

Sun May 04, 2014 9:22 pm

In my experience it depends on the damage that was done to the vehicle, knowledge on if it was a shop or the owner who fixed it, and the quality of the repair.

Since it was to the fender an door there isn't a large likely hood that the frame was bent.

My personal preference would be a shop fixed it. If someone did the repairs themselves I wouldn't trust that as much because well people tend to skip things if it takes to much time or if they just couldn't get it right. This isn't always true.

As to the quality, does the paint match? Even line between the door and fender? Fender and hood? Good seal on the door to the car (can't hear any wind going down the road). Potential damage to steering components as well, I imagine they were hit after pulling out in front of someone.

If I put the right thing in private party sale came to around 1,400 dollars? If you don't mind posting what they're asking? I certainly wouldn't pay much for it if I put in the right car.

There are no sites that I am aware of that take into account a salvage title.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Its a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro, 132k miles, all options. I come up with 3943 for very good, 3868 good, and 3468 fair for private party values. Upon some further reading, read that 20-40% off for a salvage title as a rule of thumb...so I am thinking 2800-3200 depending on condition once inspected. They are asking 3500.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Forgot to add its the 2.8 v6 awd, not the 1.4 turbo

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Girls are dumb with this stuff...she tells me there's pics of the damage online. Side airbags deployed...no thanks I'll pass on that. She really wants an Audi for the awd but sounds like they have potential to be huge money pits.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 05, 2014 5:20 am

Yeah once you get into air bag stuff that can be a freakin pain. I thought it was all fixed up already. Audis aren't so bad for you guys up north since there is at least one dealer up there (for parts). But the parts are still expensive.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 05, 2014 8:14 am

That's all I drive is salvage title vehicles, so much depends on who and how they're being fixed, if done right, they will go along time.

I've always been one to try and find rear end damaged vehicles, you might pay a little more for them up front but a lot less headaches when repairing and usually less money to fix them, and the air bag deal is not a big deal, lot's of used air bags on the market.

As far as an Audi, only ever worked on a few of them, not a lot of them down this way, some models have aluminum Qt. panels on them so you have to be carefull when buying one of those, could turn into a headache........
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

sd_man
Coot Commander

Mon May 05, 2014 8:26 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Never dealt with buying one before...but the GF is looking at cars and I'm trying to figure out a fair price to pay for a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro. KBB does not take salvage titles into account. The damage was all to the door and fender according to a vin search. Any valuation sites that take a salvage title into account? KBB's lowest condition rating is fair but it still must have a clean title to fit into that category. Appreciate any help

Can't speak to the salvage but I can to audi. I have a buddy who leases them and by the time they are up with the lease there is usually starting to be all kinds of problems with them. Its covered for him but I wouldn't touch those things. My wife also had a friend with an older model a4 as well and that thing was shot after 110,000 miles. One of my clients also bought an a6 and sold it after a year because of all the problems. There may be people who have not had problems with them, this is just the experience people I know have had.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 05, 2014 9:14 am

Yeah seems like every one listed has a bunch of new parts because the timing chain let loose...and read about lots of other issues with them. People say they are snow monsters which is good for a girl to drive but I am trying my best to change her mind on what to get. She can be stubborn though.

It is all repaired and everything, but it was listed on one of those salvage websites so you don't really know who bought it and how it was repaired...and what kind of work was done prior to the wreck. Just going to throw this one to the wayside.

She could get a 3-5 yr newer car with the same or less miles for the same prices they are asking for the Audis...she just don't get it though. I'd prefer her to get into an AWD Ford 500 or something along those lines.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 05, 2014 11:07 am

I would be careful buying an Audi. I looked in to buying one and it had terrible reviews. I know a few people who have had major issues on low mileage Audi's that basically totalled the car because the cost to fix was so high.. There are lots of AWD vehicles out there.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”