lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Zebra Mussels and non-Oxy Gas Update

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:32 pm

If you're like me, there is nothing better than being right and nothing worse than losing a "go to" spot.

Here's the latest news:

1) Christmas Lake has Zebra Mussels~ yes, even with boat inspections from ice out through October, those pesky water filtering mollusks found their way in... and based on sampling it looks like they came in by way of the access. Don't worry though, the DNR is pretty certain they can collect or otherwise eradicate them since they caught them early!

2) Ivan's Sinclair in Chanhassen Closed~ sad when we lose independents that fill propane, sell bait, AND have non-Oxygenated gas at the pumps. The new closest is Mill's Fleet Farm in Carver. The two outside pumps with Diesel also have non-Oxygenated gas on them. When I called to confirm the listing (http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN) the gal on the phone was EXCITED! Nice to know there are more than a few folks that get excited about burning pure pollutants.

Stay alert. And as a friend in college said after an persuasive speech against drinking and driving, "Yeah, I have a problem drinking a driving.... when I tip a Foster's Oil Can back I can't really see the road...."

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Zebra Mussels and non-Oxy Gas Update

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:31 pm

They can't eradicate them. Christmas Lake isn't really big so they may be able to keep them at low numbers since they caught it early but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Is the trout fishing on Christmas any good? I can't catch stocked trout in lakes to save my damn life, even when they are surfacing all around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Eradicate them?? Good luck. A zeb can lay 30-40k eggs each reproduction cycle and over a million a year.

Good news is most lakes balance out after a few years and it doesn't really affect the fishery. Some lakes are even better fishing. Bluebills and golden eyes like to eat them so it might be a good late season spot. I have shot a lot of Goldie's near zeb beds.

I'd like to know how much our state is spending on this battle that cannot be won.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. Two lakes now they went waaaay above and beyond to keep crap out of "their" lakes, and it still got in there.

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Goldfish wrote:I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. Two lakes now they went waaaay above and beyond to keep crap out of "their" lakes, and it still got in there.

I grabbed a handful from the sissippi and threw them In both lakes just to prove a point to the dnr.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Its pointless

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:14 pm

lanyard wrote: 2) Ivan's Sinclair in Chanhassen Closed~ sad when we lose independents that fill propane, sell bait, AND have non-Oxygenated gas at the pumps. The new closest is Mill's Fleet Farm in Carver.

Greenwood market at Hwy7 and Christmas Lake road has Non oxy. Also Holiday on the north side of Cty 15 & 19 in Orono has it.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Mmmm, non oxy, yummy.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

NitroZ9 Duck Killin
No longer welcome here.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Looks like my stocking efforts worked.

Screw Christmas lake and the rich arseholes that live on it.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:49 am

Yet another ridiculous thing put out by the DNR. I can't believe the public is this stupid to let them get away with it.

A rapid response to "localize" the infestation to one part of the lake....riiiiiiight....

I've heard it all now.
Minnesota officials work to limit new zebra mussel infestation in Christmas Lake
Article by: Associated Press Updated: August 21, 2014 - 4:50 AM

SHOREWOOD, Minn. — Minnesota officials are working to stop a lake-wide infestation of zebra mussels recently found in Christmas Lake near Lake Minnetonka.

The state Department of Natural Resources said Wednesday the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District discovered the invasive species in the lake Saturday. District and state employees only found the mussels in the area around the public water access.

The district, DNR and city of Sherwood are working on a rapid response because the infestation seems to have been detected early.

Zebra mussels crowd out native mussels and compete with other animals for food. The DNR announced last month it would ramp up enforcement because too many boaters were breaking state laws intended to make it harder for invasive species to spread in lakes and rivers.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”