tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Re: Am I missing something on the use of natives names?

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:Maybe we should just finish what we started 175 years ago.

Jack up propane prices and hand out Ebola blankets...

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:51 pm

:lol: :lol:
Dominate The Skies.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:06 pm

tornadochaser wrote:

Then the turkey farmers would complain about high propane costs and ask for more government handouts.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm

tornadochaser wrote:

Well they aren't the ones paying for the propane bill.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:44 pm

gimpfinger wrote:
tornadochaser wrote:

your mom...

In the name of Custer never leave the big guns at home!!!!
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:22 pm

A couple thousand gallons of Ten High whiskey would have the same result and cost half as much.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:07 pm

wish I could like that
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:10 pm

gimpfinger wrote:
tornadochaser wrote:

Neither are the turkey farmers.

I do find it weird that people even want Indians as their nickname. Take the Fighting Sioux for example; more apt to call them the 'Losing Sioux.' They fought a lot but rarely won...and I'm not even talking about whites. If you look at their history they fought almost every tribe in the upper midwest and had their ass kicked by each one.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:24 am

get-n-birdy wrote:I get the respect, but respect is earned not given.Tough pill to swallow but so is being a boy named sue. What is easily acquired, is lightly esteemed. If your are given everything, nothing is going to hold any value to you because it is not yours.

Native Americans are just like everyone else, each one is an individual. Some are good, hard working people and some aren't. But no matter how much people try and keep writing checks, there's no dollar amount that will pay for the sins of the past. It was all our forefathers of the USA that did do some very bad things, I do not deny that. But did you or I do it? As a country "we" seem to not understand that no matter how much "we" honor the treaties or the amount of money "we" give the Native American people, they are a down trodden people with many problems. I feel for that part of the equation and the enabling that will continue, is doing more harm than good. No amount of monetary currency will cure what currently ails a people being suckled by a poisonous tit, attached to the very body of people "they" despise. If it was me, I'd detach myself from that tit and go back to a more organic lifestyle. But that is the rub with enabling, it leads to dependency, insecurities and a pure lack of self esteem, that leads to no drive to stand on ones own to feet. That to me is the saddest part.

Respect is also something that is taught....handed down from generations. That's the respect I am talking about. It's the kind of basic respect that every human being should have for another....and the lack of this respect is what drives oppression and racism.

It's not that hard to see the point of view of the Native American on the use of these names being offensive if you have ever attended a game. Things like the tomahawk chop, fans dressed up in mock head dresses, chanting etc. I was at a UND/Gopher hockey game and in the section next to me a group started chanting "small pox blankets" at the UND team. Now how do you explain that cheer to your 5 year old kid. If you were a Native American in attendance do you think you would enjoy that?

Again...it's not about money or "making whitey" pay for the wrongs. It's about respect and acknowledging the Native American people as human beings. What is so hard about these teams saying "I am sorry. You are right...these names promote stereotypes and a culture that is offensive to a race of people. We'll change it tomorrow."

I would say that most Native Americans agree that the reservation system is a significant part of the problem that Native Americans suffer from. You have to remember though that the reservations system was not their idea. Whether it was the language barrier or the lack of understanding of the European culture...the contracts and treaties that were drawn up didn't do the Native Americans any favors...and I would argue was set up as the coupe de gras to eradicate the native people.

lt

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:53 am

All you'd need to do is hide their food stamps under their work boots.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”